Tires

Vendors with a presence or contributing to the VOL.
joezinn
Hang Around

Tires

Postby joezinn » February 19th, 2009, 10:07 am

I have a 2002 and I'm going to have to replace my stock tires soon. I would appreciate advice on what to buy. I am a senoir rider and do some long range touring.

Coilguy
VOL Original

Re: Tires

Postby Coilguy » February 19th, 2009, 11:06 am

Get the best Tire you can afford.

The best tires I can afford are Pirrellis. I have them on all 3 of my bikes.

CG
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

volusiarider2004
Hang Around

Postby volusiarider2004 » February 20th, 2009, 6:39 pm

i like the factory ircs from www.americanmototire.com. they are good tires and seem to last pretty good.

jimjack
Prospect

Postby jimjack » February 20th, 2009, 8:28 pm

I've had great luck with Metzeler 880's. On my third set now. Rides over the cracks in the road instead of getting caught up in them like the IRC's did.
Win an arguement, lose a friend.

ImageImage

The Volusianator
VOL Original

Postby The Volusianator » February 20th, 2009, 8:36 pm

joezinn wrote:I have a 2002 and I'm going to have to replace my stock tires soon. I would appreciate advice on what to buy. I am a senoir rider and do some long range touring.

Just a note of caution. I'm guessing your basing your tire buying decision on how much tread is left on those tires, however one thing to consider also is that those tires are SEVEN years old. Riding a motorcycle is a lot different than a four wheeled vehicle. If one tire goes on a car, you have a chance, those seven year old tires on your bike are most likely dried out and cracking like crazy. Do yourself a favor and replace those tires on a more regular basis, even if you feel there's tread left.

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » February 20th, 2009, 10:27 pm

volusiarider2004 wrote:i like the factory ircs from http://www.americanmototire.com. they are good tires and seem to last pretty good.

I am amazed by that it is good to see someone liked those tires. I would take IRC's off of my bike if they were new with no miles on them. They were in my opinion the worse tires I have ever had, including on my Schwinn when I was 10.

CG
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

SSquire
VOL Original

Postby SSquire » February 24th, 2009, 8:23 pm

The Volusianator wrote:
joezinn wrote:those tires are not SEVEN years old

A+ in math, eh?

Seriously though, I'm guessing that should have said "now seven years...", and yes they probably aren't in good shape.
Live Long * Ride Hard * Eat Well -Biker Chef
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - S. Clemens
VOL#103 (originally 8226) / VR #1124 / TOTT Plank Owner

Big Pete
VOL Original

Postby Big Pete » February 24th, 2009, 9:31 pm

jimjack wrote:I've had great luck with Metzeler 880's. On my third set now. Rides over the cracks in the road instead of getting caught up in them like the IRC's did.

+ 1

SFAbear
Hang Around

Postby SFAbear » February 26th, 2009, 4:06 pm

I replaced the IRC's with Dunlop D404s and have been happy with them so far. Great grip even in the wet.

The Volusianator
VOL Original

Postby The Volusianator » February 26th, 2009, 4:10 pm

SSquire wrote:
The Volusianator wrote:
joezinn wrote:those tires are not SEVEN years old

A+ in math, eh?

Seriously though, I'm guessing that should have said "now seven years...", and yes they probably aren't in good shape.

OK, what am I missing here, are you saying they're not seven years old? 2009-2002=7.

Return to “Vendors”