So what ya'll been up to?

Please keep it clean in this forum. Any off color jokes or adult topics should go in the adult area.
Doc
Site Admin

So what ya'll been up to?

Postby Doc » May 13th, 2014, 9:45 am

Since Fletch pointed out that the site has been pretty dead here recently, I realized that I've also slacked off on posting much. So, I wanted to start a catch-up thread of sorts. To afford us an opportunity to play catch-up with one another. To relay triumphs and tribulations, good times and bad, and just to share something about our lives with one another.. I guess I'll start.

Lots going on for me. Still at the same job I've been at for 14 years. Company is still doing great and we're actually growing like mad.

I became a granddad again on Christmas Day last year. She's a beautiful little girl with strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes. She's already stolen grandpa's heart. My daughters babysitter decided to bail on her and let her know shortly after she went on maternity leave, so after doing a little math, they decided that they could make it her husband's income with her babysitting. They plan on doing that until the kids start school. It's pretty cool, because I work from home and they live right next door. I can go over at lunchtime or right after work and spend time with the grand kids.

I finally nudged my son out of the house. He's 22 and has been working, but he's just a homebody and hasn't met the right girl yet to warrant him wanting some "privacy". He's renting my mom's house, so he's not too far away. I'm now in the process of renovating his old bedroom to turn that into my office. Lots more room in there than where I'm at now! It'll be nice to get out of this cramped-up office.

Bought a 2014 Harley Ultra Limited at the end of August last year. It's one heck of a bike. I've barely done anything to it and it still has the stock exhaust!!! I did install an air-ride system (adjustable air shocks), and that turned out very good. I can raise the bike up to stock height with the flick of a switch, or drop it all the way down to slammed height (about 5-1/2" drop). I found this was pretty useful while I was sitting in hot traffic waiting to get over Lake Charles in Louisiana. I managed to take the bike down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Maggie Valley in September to meet up with Rick and Cheryl (Blairwitch). There was no Redneck Rally, but I've always had that weekend blocked off on my calendar, and what the heck, I had a brand new bike begging me for a ride. I also managed to get it to West Virginia by Seneca Rocks before the weather turned. I've done a little riding this spring and a couple of weeks ago I took a fairly long trip to Texas. I figured in a stop by the Bayou Classic Rally on the return trip and finally met up with some folks from the VOL/VR that I'd been wanting to meet for quite some time. It's a great group of folks and I had a awesome time. No more big trips planned at this time, but I'm sure something will come up. I gave my Boulevard to my Son and he's been riding some with me. He picked right up to riding on the road. He's been riding dirt bikes for a while, so he had all the mechanics of shifting and brakes already.

My wife and I went to The Bahamas in February for our 25th wedding anniversary. Instead of doing the Nassau thing, we opted to go to one of the out-islands. A friend of mine from work had gone sailing down that way and suggested a particular island. It was incredible. Middle of February, and it was in the 80's every day. The island was beautiful with few tourists. The island was about 60 miles long and at the most 4 miles wide. Population around 3000. Almost every beach we went to was empty and we could walk for miles without seeing anyone else. We explored caves, beaches and a very cool formation called a "blue hole". It's an underwater sinkhole that formed right at the edge of a beach. Where it's located, I could literally walk off the beach into a couple of feet of water, and within 5 steps, be in a 660' deep hole. I snorkeled around it every chance I got and there was lots to see. There were even some sea turtles living in there. Click here for photos of Deans Blue Hole
I can't wait until we can go back again one day.

Just bought a 24' above ground pool. I've been using the tractor to level out a spot in the back yard for it. Hopefully, I'll have that done before this weekend so we can start getting it together. Too many irons in the fire!!

So, what ya'll been up to?!?

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Re: So what ya'll been up to?

Postby Luvs2Play » May 13th, 2014, 11:55 am

Congrats on the new grand daughter, I know how they get to grandpas, I have two of them (grand daughters) of course.

I think a pool party would be a great way to get back together, I personally would displace too much water, but would love to mind the cooler for an afternoon!

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » May 13th, 2014, 1:26 pm

At least your news seems to be all good [CLAP]
Sure glad you made time to stop by BCR, it was great meeting you and fun watching you try some of our Louisiana cuisine :D
Hopefully you will plan another trip back down this way, considering moving the rally to the Natchez Trace Parkway somewhere near Natchez,MS next year if I can pull it all together.

By the way....your bike is beautiful and an awesome machine.

ron2k_1
Patched

Postby ron2k_1 » May 13th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Hey Grand Pa Doc and others!

Congrats on your lil pieces of joy! Bike and granddaughter. Your life sounds quite eventful.

Well in my regards I tried to update you guys here on what's happening around here on this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=5630

There I said that I wanted to ride more and check in here more often. Well, the battle still continues... But honestly it really seems that the bike is getting sold... With all my wits I really want to keep my bike but I want to buy a house now that I have a family and selling the bike along with other crap I own may amortize some of the financial burden.

Another reason for wanting to get rid of the bike is because riding by yourself for years actually is starting to suck. It was fun the first couple years but now that I have a lil girl at home I actually prefer to spend time there... ah I'm getting frigging old! My girlfriend was never fond of bikes so she never rode with me. So, there it goes. I envy you guys up north with so many people actually loving bikes and riding them in groups and having bike rallies, wrench parties and that sorta thing....

Nonetheless a man needs a hobby so I'm up for suggestions guys. I was thinking astro-gazing and astro-photography. I'd still need like US $2,000 for that hobby too tho... I can always pick up riding later on...

Well, see you around and ride safe.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » May 13th, 2014, 10:11 pm

ron2k_1 wrote:Hey Grand Pa Doc and others!

Congrats on your lil pieces of joy! Bike and granddaughter. Your life sounds quite eventful.

Well in my regards I tried to update you guys here on what's happening around here on this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=5630

There I said that I wanted to ride more and check in here more often. Well, the battle still continues... But honestly it really seems that the bike is getting sold... With all my wits I really want to keep my bike but I want to buy a house now that I have a family and selling the bike along with other crap I own may amortize some of the financial burden.

Another reason for wanting to get rid of the bike is because riding by yourself for years actually is starting to suck. It was fun the first couple years but now that I have a lil girl at home I actually prefer to spend time there... ah I'm getting frigging old! My girlfriend was never fond of bikes so she never rode with me. So, there it goes. I envy you guys up north with so many people actually loving bikes and riding them in groups and having bike rallies, wrench parties and that sorta thing....

Nonetheless a man needs a hobby so I'm up for suggestions guys. I was thinking astro-gazing and astro-photography. I'd still need like US $2,000 for that hobby too tho... I can always pick up riding later on...

Well, see you around and ride safe.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Still check in when you have time and the best if luck to you.

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » May 15th, 2014, 7:46 am

OK, my turn. My last major post was about getting cleared from colon cancer (Nov 2013). I'm still good and have another follow next month. No worries or issues.

My oldest daughter has been accepted to Western Carolina University (WCU) in Cullowhee, NC. Middle daughter is finishing middle school and going to high school next year. Youngest son is almost done 2nd second! Loving wife is still loving and still my wife! :P

The bike turned over 15,000 miles a few weeks ago. I did perform my first oil/filter change (purchased a maintenance plan to include state inspections) and it was nothing over the top. I did buy the K&N chrome oil filters on eBay (pretty cheap if you look and wait) and bought the oil at the CycleGear store - on sale with a few extra thrown in. I used an inch-pound torque wrench (gotta like that nut on the oil filter) to tighten the oil filter - no leaks. I had a really nice ride in the spring - about 250 miles. I left the house about 0830 and rode up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, then down Route 9 to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, NC. I knew it was a good day to ride because I saw a lot of others doing the same.

I'm taking a week off of work for my private ride starting around 18 August. The plan is to ride to the Tail of the Dragon and spend some time there. Then, head off to PA to see my sister (who also rides). I'm going to try and avoid the Interstates for as much as possible. Route 220 is pretty straight forward from here to there and maybe Route 11/15. I know that I may have to jump on/off the Interstates, but I'll do my best to stay on the back roads.

Job is still doing well in Asheville, NC and I had some opportunities to travel and learn a few things. During my cancer situation, I had to fix a couple of paperwork issues concerning my military buy-back time. For the record, I'm eligible to retire in 5 more years at 56....however, youngest son will keep me working until I'm 62. He'll be 18 then!

OK....that's about enough of me.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » May 15th, 2014, 8:52 am

Sure glad to hear your health is improving. Enjoy your rides!!

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » May 15th, 2014, 10:34 am

Good to hear Ratboy! If you head up Rt 11 and 15, give me a holler. I'm a whole whopping 2 miles from Rt 15 through VA.

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » May 15th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Mostly working non-stop these days but starting to stretch some weekends here and there, getting to the beach and mountains of NC for a day or two when I can.

Hard to believe it's been over a year now since I moved here! These years do fly by fast.

I traded my 2009 Ultra Classic for the 2014 version after test riding the 2014. Really loving the 2014!

Both kids are 21 now and it feels strange. A little relieved that I am not a "full time" parent but a little shocked how fast time flies by. Dang!
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Wonder Warthog
Hang Around

Postby Wonder Warthog » May 20th, 2014, 8:46 am

Well I got my DJ drive put on Dragon and new wide white walls.Getting ready to go to "O" company Ranger reunion.
Wow what a difference the drive made. I will be 75 real soon and still hauling butt.lol.
:D
[Live large,tomorrow may not like you True Fear is having walked with it dailyb][/b]

Return to “General Chit-Chat”