Since nobody else is using this space

Quigg
Old King Fart

Since nobody else is using this space

Postby Quigg » August 3rd, 2015, 12:11 pm

I will! I'll tell you a story.

Vacation.

It's what you work for all year. Sure, you have to put some effort into keeping the rain off your head and you have to have beans and a place to lay your head and you do work for that too, but vacation is the thing that is foremost in your mind as you labor each day, all year.
Vacation is a time to be irresponsible. It's not for catching up on all those chores and things you just don't have time to do while holding down a steady job. No; vacation is about getting away from all that s***. Vacation is not working. Vacation is about freedom.

A long time ago, when I was young and full of p*** and vinigar, I earned two weeks vacation. It was mine and I intended to use it well. I called the boys and told them to get their s*** together. We were going to Sturgis!

The first day we logged about 700 miles traveling the back roads and by ways enjoying the small towns and villages along the way. One such town had a small fairground on it's outskirts. We checked in with the local constabulary and he agreed that we could spread our blankets there so long as we cleaned up before leaving and didn't make any trouble for him. He allowed we could make use of the porta potties and there was fresh water taps available for our use.

Early next morning we were back on the road refreshed and eager to get to Sturgis. So we took to the fast lane and just before dark we rolled into the campground. It was early and the campground had only just begun to fill up. We had out choice of several great sights. After staking our claim and unloading our gear we decided to run into town for gas and supplies.

We returned to find our gear piled, not too neatly, at the edge of our site and our site occupied buy an MC. Their spokesman approached us and politely told us to move on. He held that it was their site traditionally and we needed to find another.

What is it that makes a normally rational being do irrational things? What was to assure us that the same thing wouldn't happed at the next site? Why does pride trump good sense? Why wasn't I more diplomatic, more polite? "Well, you can just go f*** yourself!" is not an appropreate response if civilized discourse is the objective.

So there we were. Three against twenty.

I don't know what got it going, who threw the first punch, where the empty beer bottles came from, or exactly how I became blind in one eye, but for the next five minutes all hell broke loose. There was a lot of grunting and yelling. Not so much pain suprisingly, but a lot of red stuff. Very confusing.

Then as quickly as it started it was over. They were leaving. I looked around at my boys. Bobby was bleeding profusly around his left ear and his white tee shirt was now the same color as his bike. He also was seeing only in two dimention. Ted had the strangest bump in the middle of his forehead. It was about the size of a nickle and it stuck straight out about 3/4 of an inch. We were bloodied, no doubt about that, but we had stood our ground and we had won the day.

I was intensely proud of my friends, and as I watched the dust settle behind our antagonists retreating bikes, my chest swelled with pride in them too.

Those three guys were the toughest sons-a-bitches I ever came across!

Quigg

Rob
VOL Original

Re: Since nobody else is using this space

Postby Rob » August 3rd, 2015, 9:16 pm

Let that be a lesson to all who stand between 3 good men on a mission!

I miss the Black Hills. Hope to get back out there soon.
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » August 4th, 2015, 7:48 am

Nice one Quigg.. One of these days I'm going to have to take me one of them vacation things.. I hear they're all the rage..

Quigg
Old King Fart

Postby Quigg » August 4th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Hey rob, hey doc.

What happened here? I know I haven't been around much but I have an excuse; I'm old!
Where did everybody go?

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » August 4th, 2015, 9:41 pm

No clue here. Facebook? Heaven?

I miss 'em all, that's for sure. Even the ones who loved to kick my butt. I am better off and thankful for it.

Long live the VOL!
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » August 5th, 2015, 10:44 am

Facebook, other sites.. etc..

Or maybe they got offended by this smiley..

[rebel]

LOL

Quigg
Old King Fart

Postby Quigg » August 5th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Well hell Doc, that's sad. I don't know if I've ever thanked you for all your hard work here but it is appreciated. I guess you can't go back home.

But who knows, things could pick up.

Doug_u.s.
VOL Original

Postby Doug_u.s. » August 15th, 2015, 10:16 am

glad to see some old faces here again.. I haven't been on since '13.. I missed it but have been busy on other things.. riding the Goldwing as much as possible .. Good story Quigg..
Last edited by Doug_u.s. on August 18th, 2015, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Kat
VOL Original

Postby Shadow Kat » August 17th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Very nice.

Eagle
Hang Around

Postby Eagle » August 19th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Last time I was at Sturgis, was the 50th Anniversary.

Return to “General Discussion”