New to the Club

C-50 Rider
Prospect

New to the Club

Postby C-50 Rider » December 14th, 2010, 6:03 am

Well 2 weeks ago I joined the club of those who have crashed. I guess if I had to crash this was the best possible crash to have. I saw the lady come to a full stop at a stop sign, thinking she saw me I checked my mirrors then when I looked back she was in the middle off the road. I grabbed as much brake as I could and almost got stopped before we hit. Did not hurt me except pulled the stew out of my left shoulder when the front tire snapped to the right. The bike only suffered minor cosmetic damage. I contacted the lady’s insurance (State Farm) and told them I really did not feel like an estimate was necessary and would be cool with $500-600 for the repairs and I would do them myself. They insisted on an estimate and for the same 500-600 in repairs they are giving me the estimate amount $1,400.00 for the nearest Honda shop to do the repairs. It appears they do not have an estimator that does bikes. I am still doing them myself for around 800 adding some led’s so that I am even more visible and a new windshield.
'06 C-50
'93 GL1500
'77 BMW R60/7
Everyday is a good day to ride, some just better than others. Newest prospect to the BAMF club

Doc
Site Admin

Re: New to the Club

Postby Doc » December 14th, 2010, 9:33 am

Wow Chris! I'm glad you didn't really get hurt. It only takes a second for something to happen, that's for sure. That's a good deal you got on the insurance. If I had front end damage and got that much from the insurance, I might be inclined to look into that AMC Chopper kit and just replace the whole front end..

How's Pistol doing?

Headhunter
The Bishop

Postby Headhunter » December 14th, 2010, 10:03 am

glad you are ok!

Maybe the extra money was for a new set of clean drawers. :)

So I have to ask now.... What crazy circus moves went through your head, during or now when thinking of the accident? Everything in slow motion when you grabbed the brakes?
I am smellin' like the rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Pink Service Manual 01-04

C-50 Rider
Prospect

Postby C-50 Rider » December 14th, 2010, 10:54 am

Doc wrote:Wow Chris! I'm glad you didn't really get hurt. It only takes a second for something to happen, that's for sure. That's a good deal you got on the insurance. If I had front end damage and got that much from the insurance, I might be inclined to look into that AMC Chopper kit and just replace the whole front end..

How's Pistol doing?

She is doing good. She is in Hawaii and don't like being so far from home but is warming up to it.
'06 C-50
'93 GL1500
'77 BMW R60/7
Everyday is a good day to ride, some just better than others. Newest prospect to the BAMF club

C-50 Rider
Prospect

Postby C-50 Rider » December 14th, 2010, 10:56 am

Headhunter wrote:glad you are ok!

Maybe the extra money was for a new set of clean drawers. :)

So I have to ask now.... What crazy circus moves went through your head, during or now when thinking of the accident? Everything in slow motion when you grabbed the brakes?

I remember thinking "this can't be happening to me" then found myself on the road making sure everything still moved. Don't remember coming off or hitting the road. Was real pissed untill the older lady got out with tears in her eyes thinking she had killed me. I know she for one will be very aware of bikes from now on. I could not be mad after I had to calm her down.
'06 C-50
'93 GL1500
'77 BMW R60/7

bf4cm28
VOL Original

Postby bf4cm28 » December 16th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Just saw this glad you are O.K.

Big Pete
VOL Original

Postby Big Pete » December 16th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Glad you are ok I had a crash almost two years ago. Was in the hospital for 5 months still not over it. Lots of stuf I still dont remember but i'm doing better. The bike I wrecked was a Honda Victory and it was toteled. Still have my Volusia and after I got out of the hospital the wife bought me a Harley. I've not riden it yet think I will this coming summer. I have riden the Volusia last summer put about 350 miles on it.

The Volusianator
VOL Original

Postby The Volusianator » December 17th, 2010, 12:03 am

Well Chris, in the end, your health is all that matters. And I for one am glad that you're OK.

C-50 Rider
Prospect

Postby C-50 Rider » December 17th, 2010, 6:17 am

Just ordered some repair stuff hopefully it will be in next week

Should me me more visible from the front. Had to replace the rotor covers so why not add some blingage as well
'06 C-50
'93 GL1500
'77 BMW R60/7

TimG
Hang Around

New to the Club but not Biking

Postby TimG » December 21st, 2010, 12:18 pm

All,

I've been out of Biking for over 34 years and have just returned with the purchase of a 2003 Volusia.

I'm looking forward to returning to Cruising having already done the US Coast to Coast and the Maritime Provinces of Canada on a 1973 Honda 500 back in the day. But before I take on my Florida to Alaska Cruise I'll be getting my "sea legs" back with an Eastern US Cruise next June for a couple of weeks.

Even though I have over 30,000 miles under my belt with my old Honda I look forward to re-learning a lot stuff that I've forgotten and maybe never even knew about from this web site.

You guys are much more current than I am so please be patient with an Old Guy like me.

For now any recommendations on an all weather Cover that will be used to store my Volusia outdoors in Florida would be much appreciated.

All the best,

TimG

Return to “Rider Down”