From Pearl Harbor to North Shore

Ghstwlkrs
Hang Around

From Pearl Harbor to North Shore

Postby Ghstwlkrs » April 5th, 2011, 3:28 am

Got back from a ride Sunday. Wish I could say it was perfect but unforunately it wasnt. There was 5 of us. I was in the rear and my buddy in front of me took a fall on snake road. The bike in front of him slowed quickly through a turn causing my buddy to have to take the turn wider...his back tire hit a mini speed bump causing his rear wheel to lift off the ground....it was enough to change the direction of the bike just a few inches. After that well...he tried to control the bike and ended up having to drop down. He is ok....thank god...just a small patch of road rash and a pretty banged up shoulder. His bike was not to bad condition either...but will need some fixing. Being only about 3-4 bike lengths behind him and leaned in the middle of the turn...I am thankful that I was able to miss him and get off the road safe. Sunday was just another reminder that even when riding safe...the unexpected is just around the corner. Prayers to him and his wife. We were definitely lucky that day with only a minor visit to the hospital. I say minor because we both knew it could've been alot worse.

The road is normally travel ALOT....meaning there are cages(cars) normally going both ways trying to get to and leaving the North Shore area.....It was just pure luck and good looking out from those above that no cages were involved or we could've been saying farewell to a fellow rider.

ecks
VOL Original

Re: From Pearl Harbor to North Shore

Postby ecks » April 5th, 2011, 7:14 am

Healing thoughts to your buddy.
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

bob penn
Hang Around

Postby bob penn » April 5th, 2011, 8:17 am

I don't know if it's just early season aggressiveness or the lack of the ability to carry over experience. In the last 4 days 3 bikers have been killed in and around the Scranton, Pa. area in separate accidents.
One was a young 31 year old lady who pulled out in front of a car was struck by that car and run over by another car. Another was a 27 year old guy who was doing god knows what causing him to fall off his bike only to get hit by a truck.
Even in the case that inspired this thread it would seem that the rider was following too close to the bike in front of him. I don't mean to be judgemental, not having been there, but that seems to be an early season mistake that group riders have to re-learn every year.
I ask you all to lay back a little. Don't push the limits until you get more fresh experience to remember those limits and for God's sake hold off on showing off and doing tricks!!

Prayers to our teachers

Headhunter
The Bishop

Postby Headhunter » April 5th, 2011, 8:20 am

Prayers brother. I always like running tail gunner on group trips, becuase too many times, we don't give the road 100% of our attention like we would when we ride alone.

Glad he only had minor injuries.
I am smellin' like the rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Pink Service Manual 01-04

Pass
Prospect

Postby Pass » April 5th, 2011, 8:22 am

bob penn wrote:I don't know if it's just early season aggressiveness or the lack of the ability to carry over experience. In the last 4 days 3 bikers have been killed in and around the Scranton, Pa. area in separate accidents.
One was a young 31 year old lady who pulled out in front of a car was struck by that car and run over by another car. Another was a 27 year old guy who was doing god knows what causing him to fall off his bike only to get hit by a truck.
Even in the case that inspired this thread it would seem that the rider was following too close to the bike in front of him. I don't mean to be judgemental, not having been there, but that seems to be an early season mistake that group riders have to re-learn every year.
I ask you all to lay back a little. Don't push the limits until you get more fresh experience to remember those limits and for God's sake hold off on showing off and doing tricks!!

Prayers to our teachers

Ride your ride, man. The way I see it... When it's your time, it's your time. When it aint, it's just an in your face reminder that it could be any day... So live it up, and love the hell out of it while ya can.
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

fiv_oh_po_po
Patched

Postby fiv_oh_po_po » April 5th, 2011, 9:14 am

Headhunter wrote:Prayers brother. I always like running tail gunner on group trips, becuase too many times, we don't give the road 100% of our attention like we would when we ride alone.

Glad he only had minor injuries.

I always ride Tail Gunner so I can Ride My Ride and not worry about being too slow and holding others up... I can take it at my pace... And when I see that someone needs to fall behind... I stop and wait for em...

Aint That Right Jayce... ;-)
2005 Suzuki Blvd C50 [2/2005-10/2007]
2008 HD FLHR "POSER" King (Peace Officer Special Edition Road King) [10/2007 ordered, 12/2007 delivered - 4/2014]

Officially Bikeless since 4/2014... :'-(

Pass
Prospect

Postby Pass » April 5th, 2011, 9:21 am

fiv_oh_po_po wrote:I always ride Tail Gunner so I can enjoy staring at the dude's asses in front of me and not worry about being caught... I can stroke it at my pace... And when I see that someone needs to fall behind... I stop and wait for em...

Aint That Right Jayce... ;-)

Fixt.
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » April 5th, 2011, 9:38 am

Glad that it wasn't any worse than it could have been. I think we all need an "oh s***" moment every once in a while to wake us up from our complacency. Here's to a quick recovery and many more safe miles..

The Volusianator
VOL Original

Postby The Volusianator » April 5th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Pass wrote:
Ride your ride, man. The way I see it... When it's your time, it's your time. When it aint, it's just an in your face reminder that it could be any day... So live it up, and love the hell out of it while ya can.

I knew someday I'd find something I could agree with you on! :lol:

Pass
Prospect

Postby Pass » April 5th, 2011, 2:14 pm

The Volusianator wrote:
Pass wrote:

I knew someday I'd find something I could agree with you on! :lol:

Know how I now know that I was wrong? LMAO :lol: j/k
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

Return to “Rider Down”