Rest in Peace Avi Naftel

Fletch
Patched

Rest in Peace Avi Naftel

Postby Fletch » July 15th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Some of you may have met Avi here on the forum. He lived alone in the desert of Southern Arizona.
He had diabetes and pancreatic cancer.
No one had heard from him in several weeks so some friends drove several hours to check on him and found out the local sheriff had found his body about 3 weeks ago.
Rest in peace my friend, you lived and died life your way.
Last edited by Fletch on July 15th, 2012, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc
Site Admin

Re: Rest in Peace Avi Naftel

Postby Doc » July 15th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Wow! I was thinking he was just on some big long summer bike ride. He was certainly a wandering soul. I hope he has finally find some peace. Rick, did you ever get to meet him in person? Seemed like an interesting guy.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » July 15th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Doc wrote:Wow! I was thinking he was just on some big long summer bike ride. He was certainly a wandering soul. I hope he has finally find some peace. Rick, did you ever get to meet him in person? Seemed like an interesting guy.

Yes I did, last November he was riding (or attempting ) to ride across country. He stopped here to spend the night and was having bike problems. He stayed with us 4 nights and told some very interesting stories. Got 1 more day into his trip when his bike gave up on him. Thankfully with the help of a friend who had some connections with the CMA enough money was raised to get him a uhaul to get him and his bike back to Dallas where he had some family. He had recently moved back to Arizona and bought a little piece of land in the desert where he seemed happy..
He suffered from diabetes and was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. At least he lived and died the way he wanted.
He was a wounded veteran and had so many great stories. He was also a very educated man.
I hate to think about how long he laid there before he was found. :(

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » July 15th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Avi had a niece who is very ill, he loved her very much and wanted to help her as much as he could.
If anyone wanted to contribute in his memory here is the website.

http://www.giveforward.com/anewkidneyfo ... action=hug

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » August 2nd, 2012, 9:52 am

81 views and only 1 person besides myself had a response. A man is dead, a fellow biker and not even a RIP, sad very sad :roll:

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » August 4th, 2012, 11:29 pm

I remember Avi posting here. He always very helpful, nice and I would have liked to have had the chance to meet him and to ride with him. I was wondering, cause I had not seen any posts from him in a while. Even though I can't say I knew him, he will be missed.

Just out of curiosity, I googled him. Wow. Israeli spec ops, Navy Seal, Vietnam Vet. And a true Anarchist.

Ride on brother.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » August 6th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Elephant Rider wrote:I remember Avi posting here. He always very helpful, nice and I would have liked to have had the chance to meet him and to ride with him. I was wondering, cause I had not seen any posts from him in a while. Even though I can't say I knew him, he will be missed.

Just out of curiosity, I googled him. Wow. Israeli spec ops, Navy Seal, Vietnam Vet. And a true Anarchist.

Ride on brother.

Avi spent 26 years in prison for defending his rights as a citizen and was horribly mistreated.
He disarmed an Arizona state trooper who demanded to see his papers and would not believe he was a citizen.
He fought for the little people till the day he died.
He was really a very peaceful man....unless you backed him into a corner.

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » August 6th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Yeah, I was reading about all that. Pretty interesting the stuff out there with a quick search. Really made me a little sad that I never did meet or get to hang out with the man. Seems like he was the kind of man that was a great friend to those who knew him.

Wrench
VOL Original

Postby Wrench » August 6th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Wow, I hated to hear of his passing too. I know he was bummed about his trip going sour, but at least he got part of it in. Yeah, from reading his posts he kinda seemed to be a free spirit, doing things his way, just him and his dog. Ride easy bro.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » August 7th, 2012, 8:23 pm

You either liked Avi or you didn't, not everyone agreed with his views.
I am so glad he made it as far as my house before his trip went sour.
I would like to be able to have that week with him one more time.

He had some very interesting stories to tell.

He died alone in the desert of Arizona that he loved. He was apparently dead at least 3 weeks before he was found. An athropologist had to identify his body as animals had pretty much destroyed it.
But he died his way and where he wanted to be.

Return to “Rider Down”