Sensation of Speed

Marco
Hang Around

Sensation of Speed

Postby Marco » April 1st, 2012, 6:53 pm

This may sound crazy - but I've been riding on back roads for about a week now and when I get to about 40mph it feels like I'm gonna take off. I bought the bike to save some money on gas as I have a 60+ mile daily commute to work. Most of it is rural with speed limits at 55mph. Some of it is in heavy traffic but the speed is less. I feel like I need to be comfortable at 55 to 60 mph to avoid getting myself hurt or killed and I'm trying to work up to it but I'm having trouble breaking that 40 mph barrier. I am looking to take the MSF course in a couple of weeks. I think part of it is the conditions of the roads too. I think if I could relax a little it would be better. How long till I my cycle legs?

Da-Mack
Patched

Re: Sensation of Speed

Postby Da-Mack » April 1st, 2012, 8:44 pm

I'm gonna strongly suggest that you take your time.

Don't try to totally commit to the bike all at once. Keep at a speed you feel comfy with and eventually you will get use to it and learn to appreciate the speeds. The worst thing you can do is rush into trying to use the bike to commute and go beyond your safe control. Stick to leisurely riding and DO take the MS course. You will learn a lot there but keep in mind, they will only teach you at low speeds and stress to you that you need lots of continued practice to become a proficient rider.

Take your sweet time and go at YOUR pace, not some one elses. 40mph on a bike for the first time is exhilarating. 70mph will scare the s*** of you. Every day will bring new obstacles and new learning experiences.

Good luck, have fun, be sober on that damn bike!

P.S. There is a DVD out there called "Ride Like a Pro" (I think). I seen it at a Harley dealer and I think the guys here have talked about it. You can also get that DVD to help you get going.
"I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals"
Lead an extraordinary life.
2002 Volusia...Red/Black...the red bikes are the fastest!
1975 Yamaha XS500

Marco
Hang Around

Postby Marco » April 5th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Thanks for the advice. I signed up for the class next weekend.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » April 6th, 2012, 4:09 pm

It took my wife taking baby steps to build up her comfort with highway speeds.
Take your time and stay in your comfort zone.

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » April 6th, 2012, 9:27 pm

The MSF course will help a lot.

Take your time, go at your own pace, don't let any of those cars/trucks around you tell you how fast you should be going. Signal your intentions and always be on the lookout for trouble. Trouble is everywhere but most often easy to avoid if you're paying attention.
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » April 7th, 2012, 10:53 am

Just like you, I was all like oh s*** when I first riding and would get to about 45 mph. It just takes a little getting used to. I rode for about a week like that, took the course, and everything was great after that. Like Da-Mack said, take your time and go at your own pace. After the course, you will improve greatly everyday.

colsar
VOL Original

Postby colsar » April 8th, 2012, 2:03 pm

Yes, take it easy at your own pace. TAKE THE CLASS!! You will gradually feel more confident and comfortable with the bike. I remember my first expressway days going 70 with cars and trucks just feet away from you; scared the #$&* out of me!
Joe
2003 Volusia Green/Silver - 2003-current
2003 Honda VTX1800C - 2004-2005, 1983 Honda Nighthawk 750 - 1994-2004
1975 Suzuki GT185 - 1981-1986, Cimatti City Bike - 1979-1980

Marco
Hang Around

Postby Marco » April 22nd, 2012, 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone. I took the class last weekend. SC allows you to take the waiver for your license. I am fully licensed and yesterday I got to about 50. I am feeling more comfortable. I am trying to make time in the evenings to get a ride in. My confidence is greatly improved.

Da-Mack
Patched

Postby Da-Mack » April 22nd, 2012, 6:15 pm

Congrats!

Stick to the back roads and state highways for practice. Get use to speed on the state highways since they have lighter traffic. Slowly work your way to the freeway and traffic.

I spent a lot of time on back county roads going around the lakes in our county. The turns helped me learn shifting and handling.

Good luck, take your time, be safe.
"I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals"
Lead an extraordinary life.
2002 Volusia...Red/Black...the red bikes are the fastest!
1975 Yamaha XS500

ron2k_1
Patched

Sensation of Speed

Postby ron2k_1 » April 22nd, 2012, 9:32 pm

Congo-ratz! Now ride it like you stole it!

... Within your skills that is. Enjoy the back roads, enjoy the ride; you don't need an excuse or reason to ride...

Take care and take your time. You don't need speed to enjoy your bike, you don't even need speed to get to where you're going.

Ron

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils

Return to “Welcome Area”