Group Rides - Anyone Have This Experience?

jammie girl
Hot A$$

Re: Group Rides - Anyone Have This Experience?

Postby jammie girl » September 28th, 2008, 6:28 pm

annieh wrote:
jammie girl wrote:
Pass wrote:Clearly you are much nicer than I.

Who isn't!! :P

But seriously, if you are late, you are left. But if there is a problem with someone's bike, another rider should try to help them out fixin it. (low tire pressure something that should have been taken care of before hand)

"comfort level" - Well if you can't do the speed limit ANYWHERE (interstate or other roads), well ya probly shouldn't be ridin in a group. Not a big one anyway!!!

I try to make sure that I stay around the speed limit when leading group rides - especially when I have new riders in the group.

\

I agree with that, but if you can't do the speed limit, well......

annieh
VOL Original

Postby annieh » September 28th, 2008, 7:12 pm

True that..........

RideAllYear
VOL Original

Postby RideAllYear » October 5th, 2008, 11:13 pm

DocO wrote:Nope, I don't think you're being too harsh. As ride captain, your goal is to provide as safe a ride as possible for everyone in the group.

And that should remain your primary concern - a group ride that everyone rode home from on their own bike.

Pink wrote:... when the least experienced is not to standard traffic norm, then they need to (re)take the MSF course, get into a safe rider course, and practice either on one's own or in a smaller group.

I could not agree with you more, Pink!

jfwarren wrote:the reality is the MSF course costs a lot of money and there really isn't a course offered today to teach beginning riders to be better riders - which is too bad.

What does the MSF course cost where you are? Here in Indiana it's $50 for ABATE members, $75 for non-members. And actually, speaking as an MSF Instructor, I can say that the MSF course DOES teach begining -- and intermediate and experienced riders -- to be better riders by instilling confidence as their skill level increases. Riders with more "real-world" experience also benefit from the "back to basics" approach of the BRC, unlearning any bad habits they've accquired. The only people that I've had not improve - whether they passed the course or not - are those who simply did not TRY. Also, as I'm sure you're all aware, the MSF offers the Experienced Rider Course, with range exercises similiar to the BRC (and some more advanced), but taken on your own bike.
Painfully stock '03 Silver & White
>>> insert witty quote here <<<

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » October 6th, 2008, 11:31 am

jfwarren wrote:You're right. Iin theory they ought to all return to MSF beginner rider training which I also empahsized but the reality is the MSF course costs a lot of money and there really isn't a course offered today to teach beginning riders to be better riders - which is too bad.

As a group we try and subtley coach the less skilled riders (which is difficult because egos come in to play here). We watch their skills and encourage them to keep their feet on the pegs when coming to a stop, put their left foot down first so they can apply their back brake, to slow down for corners, accelerate through the corner, check their tire pressure in advance, etc. but this seems to fall on deaf ears.

I gotta agree with Rideallyear...MSF is cheap compared to many things and is very helpful to young or inexperianced riders. Both me sons took the class....because I wouldn't let them ride without it. I took it first to see and I had been riding for 30years and found it helpful.

It was geared for the new rider i think it is one of the best tools a new rider can have. Just my opinion though.

CG
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

SSquire
VOL Original

Postby SSquire » October 7th, 2008, 4:53 pm

Pass, next time we ride, we want to put you next to Po Po so he can help with your group riding skills. :twisted:
Live Long * Ride Hard * Eat Well -Biker Chef
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - S. Clemens
VOL#103 (originally 8226) / VR #1124 / TOTT Plank Owner

jfwarren
VOL Original

Postby jfwarren » October 7th, 2008, 8:02 pm

RideAllYear wrote:
DocO wrote:Nope, I don't think you're being too harsh. As ride captain, your goal is to provide as safe a ride as possible for everyone in the group.

And that should remain your primary concern - a group ride that everyone rode home from on their own bike.

Pink wrote:... when the least experienced is not to standard traffic norm, then they need to (re)take the MSF course, get into a safe rider course, and practice either on one's own or in a smaller group.

I could not agree with you more, Pink!

jfwarren wrote:the reality is the MSF course costs a lot of money and there really isn't a course offered today to teach beginning riders to be better riders - which is too bad.

What does the MSF course cost where you are? Here in Indiana it's $50 for ABATE members, $75 for non-members. And actually, speaking as an MSF Instructor, I can say that the MSF course DOES teach begining -- and intermediate and experienced riders -- to be better riders by instilling confidence as their skill level increases. Riders with more "real-world" experience also benefit from the "back to basics" approach of the BRC, unlearning any bad habits they've accquired. The only people that I've had not improve - whether they passed the course or not - are those who simply did not TRY. Also, as I'm sure you're all aware, the MSF offers the Experienced Rider Course, with range exercises similiar to the BRC (and some more advanced), but taken on your own bike.

Well around here the MSF beginner and advanced courses are approximately $125 and up.

So I can understand where our riders would be adverse to our suggestions for same (not to meniton egos). Nevertheless, I'm putting together another ride this weekend where I will explain the meeting time, place, pre-ride safety and convenience checks (i.e. checking their gas tanks, air pressure), riding rules , etc. and place the slower riders towards the front.

So I'm going to give it another go and set-up the ride (110 miles) on secondary roads where the speed limit is 50 MPH or less, place the slower riders toward the front and hopefully have a safe and enjoyable ride.

Live and learn, I guess. But I'm not giving up on them yet - we'll try it one more time.

Also setting up a longer ride for later this fall and have offered to take my truck and trailer for what we call the "slow hogs" in order to minimize long-distance interstate travel and safety concerns for the less experienced on the overall group. I circulated this idea last week and even the "slow hogs" liked that idea - so I guess this will work but I'm not particularly thrilled about having someone drive my truck and trailer, but we'll try it and see how it goes considering it's an overnight trip and we can use the truck to carry the camping stuff.

Anyway, going to give it another go this weekend on the shorter secondary road route and see how it goes. But I've told everyone we're not waiting on any late arrivals.

RideAllYear
VOL Original

Postby RideAllYear » October 7th, 2008, 8:20 pm

jfwarren wrote:Also setting up a longer ride for later this fall and have offered to take my truck and trailer for what we call the "slow hogs" in order to minimize long-distance interstate travel and safety concerns for the less experienced on the overall group.

Okay... I understand wanting everyone to feel "included".... BUT ... if some of the riders are not comfortable on the Interstate roads -- then why are they going along? You've already set up a 'secondary-road-only' ride for them so they can improve their skills and feel included.

Why not just announce that the second ride will be on Interstates and if they aren't comfortable at those speeds or on those roads then maybe they should consider skipping that ride until they are able to keep up with the group?

Won't the other riders be held back and their enjoyment of the ride be diminished by all the efforts being made to include the less-able riders -- especially those who do not appear willing to improve their skills?

Now, before I p*** anyone off, I'm just asking a question. I guess I just don't understand why so much effort is being made to include less-skilled riders who may be on some level a danger to the others in the group?
Painfully stock '03 Silver & White
>>> insert witty quote here <<<

SaddleTramp
VOL Original

Postby SaddleTramp » October 8th, 2008, 7:40 am

jammie girl wrote:

(low tire pressure something that should have been taken care of before hand)

That brought back the memory of Christocc, who made riding with low tire pressure fashionably chic 8-)
(Can't remember the details, though)

annieh
VOL Original

Postby annieh » October 8th, 2008, 8:27 am

SaddleTramp wrote:
jammie girl wrote:

That brought back the memory of Christocc, who made riding with low tire pressure fashionably chic 8-)

And he STILL gets chit for that!

jammie girl
Hot A$$

Postby jammie girl » October 8th, 2008, 9:04 am

SaddleTramp wrote:
jammie girl wrote:

:lol: 16 pounds (from NY to AR) and he wondered why his rear end felt squishy!!!

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”