Group Rides - Anyone Have This Experience?

TENNVOL
VOL Original

Re: Group Rides - Anyone Have This Experience?

Postby TENNVOL » October 8th, 2008, 11:55 am

How funny!!! That was a great memory y'all brought up! Hell, I even wrote a song for him: "16 pounds, whaddaya get? " sung to the tune of Tennessee Ernie Fords' "16 Tons". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally, I can't stand it when clubs allow inexperienced riders along on group rides! One of the bylaws of SCRC here in E TN is that EVERYONE be a licensed driver and obey the speed limits, etc.... and we actually quit one of the local clubs because they allowed a 15 yr old, unlicensed, to ride a crotch rocket with all us seasoned cruisers and cause all kinds of mayhem on several occasions. He even tried carrying a huge bottle of Mt. Dew along with him and dropped it right in front of my DH...causing him to have to swerve to avoid it and almost ran into ME... which would have been TOTALLY unforgiveable!! [oops]
People need to KNOW what they are doing and be an 'experienced'rider BEFORE they include themselves on large group rides. IMHO :?

joeke3el
VOL Original

Postby joeke3el » August 27th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Over the years I have slowly migrated away from group rides. Take the group member with the lowest IQ and divde that by the number in the group and you'll get the group IQ. Seriously though, with any group over 7 or 8 riders I have not had a good time. When I've done the 30+ group rides I've just been miserable and so I now avoid it.

I feel safer alone or with those I know and are compatible with.

Joe

no1likhim
Hang Around

Postby no1likhim » September 15th, 2009, 8:37 pm

New here, but I have to chime in.
Background on me - Rode Harleys for years. Last bike was an Ultra Classic. Had to sell it because one of our grown daughters flaked out and now we are raising two grandchildren. So, I cashed out, paid a lot of bills and had enough money to pick up a really sweet 2001 Red and Black VL800.

Now - to the meat. I ride with Wheels OF Faith. I have worked my way up the ranks from no patch - Patched - Road Servant - Road Captain - and now I am sectional Road Chief over a large district. I teach safe rider courses similar to Ride Like A Pro. I have led, swept, and rode in ever convievable position in a pack.
I have ridden with some of the best.
I have also ridden with some of the worst.
I have learned one important thing that is a partial answer to your many questions.

Nip it in the bud.

1st offence on someone who knows better - pull him/her to the side away from everyone else, and privately "encourage" them.
2nd offence on the same thing - turn them over to their chapter pres. If he wont do anything, take it higher.

I rode a few months ago with a group I had never ridden with before. I got the call from one of them, and was invited to tag along. At the first stop, I parked over to the side, got off my bike, and removed my colors. When one of them asked why, I told them that while I was enjoying the ride, and the company - I simply could not allow my colors to the flown while riding in such a haphazard fashion.

Yes, I got some looks. And, I suspect I will never get an invite to ride with them again. And that will be a shame, but the point is that you as a RC have to hold standards, and hold them tight. You will lose some riders, but in the end the group y ou are left with will make you proud to ride with them.

Thanks!

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » September 15th, 2009, 8:48 pm

I honestly can't recall ANY whining, bad times, close calls, or difficult riders during any of the many rides I have been on with VOL members. Maybe I am just lucky but I have logged more than a few miles with this crew!

Come ride with us, you won't be disappointed. We may not agree on everything, but we can definitely keep it together on the road! Hell, we can even keep it together OFF the road! :lol:
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Fringeofinsanity
VOL Original

Postby Fringeofinsanity » September 16th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Pass wrote:Or you can do it the "Pass certified approved instruction" way... "Tell em to grow dicks and ride... or squat in the bushes and ride b****" You may also add "I know little girls who can out ride you" for extra emphasis if needed.

I'll offer ya the Fringe approach.

b**** slap'em then kick'em in the ass as ya say, "twist the throttle or get the F#@& outta the way...........

b****!"

Helps to exhale yer cigar in their face as you walk away.

Hey! I ain't sayin' it's right....I'm just sayin' :twisted:

jammie girl
Hot A$$

Postby jammie girl » September 16th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Fringeofinsanity wrote:
Pass wrote:Or you can do it the "Pass certified approved instruction" way... "Tell em to grow dicks and ride... or squat in the bushes and ride b****" You may also add "I know little girls who can out ride you" for extra emphasis if needed.

I'll offer ya the Fringe approach.

b**** slap'em then kick'em in the ass as ya say, "twist the throttle or get the F#@& outta the way...........

b****!"

Hey! I ain't sayin' it's right....I'm just sayin' :twisted:

Funny! I am sure Dakota and Wade was thinkin this about me on the Swamp Tour!! But they know I'd have kicked their ass back at the Applecover!!! 8-)

MuskokaVol
Prospect

Postby MuskokaVol » November 5th, 2010, 10:58 am

I was invited on a ride by a friend in the SCRC Gravenhurst and had a good time. It was my 1st big group ride but as the new guy I didn't want to embarrass myself, so I was very careful to do as they did. It wasn't hard to keep in step with everyone, and I'm not an overly seasoned rider. The point I'm trying to make is, If you want to be part of a riding group you have to think of the others as well and think if I am being a detriment I need to either improve my riding before the next time I go out with them or don't do it any more (before I get kicked out). It's all about the good and safety of the group. You don't need a**holes like that causing grief and ruining a great day.
100% effort 100% of the time!

pyxeepartee
Hang Around

Postby pyxeepartee » November 17th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Only been on a couple of rides, as a passenger, not a driver (yet), and I think you have a very valid reason for delivering the ultimatum. Wish there were more people out there who consider the entire group's safety rather than idiots who cannot or will not play by the rules. Driving cars/trucks on the interstates is dangerous enough & you've got plenty of metal surrounding you, let alone being almost "naked" on a bike, no matter the size or style.

Nancy

mikem1968
Hang Around

Postby mikem1968 » January 28th, 2011, 3:08 pm

I think you have a valid point. I prefer solo riding myself (I guess I'm something of a lone wolf or whatever you call it). I can't imagine why these guys would want to ride with a group of experienced riders either. They need to go get some road time and highway miles in. I still don't like riding close formation, but have gotten to that point on my way to a rally once.

Maybe as an addendum for your group's requirements you should be specific about stuff like that also, so you don't end-up with more riders that just don't have the experience level.

I myself can't understand why anyone would own a bike and not ride it as much as possible whenever possible. Some people just dust off old betsy once a year and put her away. Makes no sense to me. If it's just about the bike itself, well, I'd rather be seen really riding an old beater then polishing a brand new shiny piece of chrome.

paul_mcdowall
Hang Around

Postby paul_mcdowall » January 29th, 2011, 9:55 am

I'd just tell them the rules up front. If they're late then they'll miss the ride. They are responsible for their own ride and slow riders will be at the back of the group so if they don't keep up then they'll fall behind. It's their choice whether to ride with the group and as part of the group or not.

I had the opposite problem. I road with a local organization that was ALL about the rules. It was like a precision ride team and watch out if you fell 10 feet out of position! Oh ya, and the leader takes off from a standing stop like a gun going off - kind of hard to keep in position when he does that. Consequently I haven't ridden with them again.

IMHO there needs to be a good balance between accepted rules and acceptable rules. For me, it should be about safety, fun and rules, in that order.

You don't see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.
Teach us to number our days that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”