These AIN'T dirt bikes

fiv_oh_po_po
Patched

Re: These AIN'T dirt bikes

Postby fiv_oh_po_po » March 27th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Hey Mike (DocO)....

Remember the "short cut" your GPS took us down on the way home from RNR in Fall 2006......

6" deep loose gravel road....

That was the WORST Pucker I have EVER HAD!!!

Wish I had a picture of that road for ya!!!

RON
2005 Suzuki Blvd C50 [2/2005-10/2007]
2008 HD FLHR "POSER" King (Peace Officer Special Edition Road King) [10/2007 ordered, 12/2007 delivered - 4/2014]

Officially Bikeless since 4/2014... :'-(

SSquire
VOL Original

Postby SSquire » March 27th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Reminds me of the ride v0lusia took us on with some fairly new riders... we turned a corner at a decent amount of speed to see the sign: "Fresh Oil" In that area, they spray oil on the road and dump loose gravel to resurface them. That's what we hit "ping ping ping", all the little rocks flying everywhere... Not funny then, funny now.
Live Long * Ride Hard * Eat Well -Biker Chef
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - S. Clemens
VOL#103 (originally 8226) / VR #1124 / TOTT Plank Owner

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » March 27th, 2009, 8:15 pm

fiv_oh_po_po wrote:Hey Mike (DocO)....

Remember the "short cut" your GPS took us down on the way home from RNR in Fall 2006......

6" deep loose gravel road....

That was the WORST Pucker I have EVER HAD!!!

Wish I had a picture of that road for ya!!!

RON

Dude.. that road wasn't bad.. you need to go up a "holler" or two in West Virginia.. 25 mile long roads winding up into the mountains that progressively get narrower and narrower. Now THAT is a bad road.

glori
VOL Original

Postby glori » March 28th, 2009, 12:10 am

If you're solo and need to pick up the bike you should 1st use something to block the wheels on the "back" side of the bike. you squat with the seat at your back and get as low as you can, bracing the bike against your waist. handlebars should be turned so the wheel faces your way and the bars are against the tank, then you push up with the legs and if it works right, it should come up as you stand.. just don't do it if the wheels are heading downhill... it can easily go right on over. Oh, your "forward" hand should grip the bar that's against the tank, and the other hand grip kind of under the seat toward the back of the bike, just not too wide. They don't call me Tippy for nothin'. lol..

And you're right they aren't intended for dirt.. worst leg fracture I saw last year in the OR was a dad riding his VOL in a field with his son on a dirt bike.. he was teaching him to ride... I asked him why he even considered riding it on grass. His response was sooo lame I don't even remember what it was exactly. Did I mentioned the field was soft.
aka Princess Tippy!!

akaCaveman
Hang Around

Postby akaCaveman » March 30th, 2009, 12:37 pm

latelifebiker wrote:You are BOSS, Caveman. The Delkwood is less than half a mile from my house. I would love the opportunity to meet with you guys. Just tell me when and where. Thanks for thinking of me. My wife will surely be interested, too.
That bad stretch of "shortcut" is in South Carolina. I was a mile down it before I recognized it wasn't just a brief jog like the last one my GPS put me on. It went on for another mile or so. The NEXT time my GPS told me to turn down a dirt road I just kept going and waited for it to recalculate the route. Worked out fine.
I'll check the SCRC website, but please keep me in mind.
LLB

Our next meeting is this Wednesday night - April 1 at 7pm. We meet in the back room of the restaurant. Hope to meet you.

jfwarren
VOL Original

Postby jfwarren » April 6th, 2009, 7:55 pm

Been there, done that!

The best technique (supposedly) is to face away from the bike, grab one handlebar with one hand and grab the seat with the other hand and lift using your legs (not your back). Well that would be under perfect circumstances.

If however, you were fighting for footing on gravel like you were or worse trying to do this on a hill (with the bike in neutal) complications arrive and it can be extremely difficult and it doesn't take much to strain your back if you're not careful (of course, if you are 21 it's a lot easier then when you are 62 like me)

But the nice thing is (although I have not been down on my Volusia) I went down last summer on my sportbike in a sharp corner in a moment of daydreaming at a blazing 30 MPH with a classic front wheel washout and went down with the bike on top of me but it kept slidding whereas I didn't.

Getting up I was sort of in shock (embarassment would be a better word) and a guy came along in a car right behind me and asked me if I was OK and while I was pondering the question. he went right over and righted my sportbike onto its stand and then drove off.

Now the cool part of this was he was not a biker, just an everyday car commuter good samaritan.

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”