These AIN'T dirt bikes

latelifebiker
Prospect

These AIN'T dirt bikes

Postby latelifebiker » March 26th, 2009, 12:25 pm

I found out the hard way on my first test run on the fully loaded Beauty.
I missed the turn-off to my sisters house and pulled over to make a U-turn in the next driveway.
It was South Carolina, so naturally the driveway had a skim coat of sand.
I was barely moving-- 2 or 3 mph-- but that bike went out from under me so fast I didn't have time to get clear. It pinned my foot under the left side. Thank God it wasn't the right side with those hot pipes. I was able to get a grip on the sissy bar and lift it enough to get my foot out. But I had to wait for help to get that baby upright. It was that or unload the 150 pounds of gear strapped on board.
As fate would have it, the second car passing by was a biker couple. They recognized the situation immediately and pulled over.
NOW, the moral of the story: That gentle flop didn't hurt The Beauty, but it bruised my foot and my ego. It also thoroughly indoctrinated me to the dangers of a loose footing. So the next day when my GPS sent me down the shortcut from (or to) hell, I was extremely careful. (See photo) The earlier slip-up probably spared me from having that much worse experience on a remote back road where help could have been a long time in coming.
Bless the biker gods.
Last edited by latelifebiker on August 10th, 2009, 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Between the dreaming and the doing lie the Doldrums"
"Every day-- fair of foul-- you have to sail the wind you've got."
2006 C90T
SCRC Chptr #183 (N. Atlanta)

kaitiff
Hang Around

Re: These AIN'T dirt bikes

Postby kaitiff » March 26th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Sometimes fate smiles on us mere mortals. That and bikers helping bikers is always cool. :) There was a technique I saw done once to help get a bike up by yourself. I saw a dude do it on his Goldwing and he wasn't a big guy. Involved backing up to the machine, getting a grip and just taking baby steps backwards. You don't pick up per se, but the act of walking backwards would leverage the bike up, as long as your wheels could get traction and didn't just slide. My dad said he had to do it once on his FLH Harley, and he's got a really bad back etc.

latelifebiker
Prospect

Postby latelifebiker » March 26th, 2009, 2:36 pm

I use that lifting technique when needed, kaitiff. I've even taught it to my wife. But you hit the nail right on the head: the same slippery footing that put The Beauty down also kept her from getting her feet back under her-- NO TRACTION. When my good Samaritans arrived, she blocked the rear tire with her foot while he and I lifted.
LLB
2006 C90T

sbman
Prospect

Postby sbman » March 26th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Our instructor teaching our motorcycle class showed a film on picking up bikes. It wasn't an "official" film, but it showed a few ways to get bikes upright again, including the one kaitiff mentioned. They had different bikes to demonstrate with, including a large tourer, and different size people, including a smaller woman, though she didn't lift the tour bike. Now, if I could only remember the name of the DVD.

see50girl
Prospect

Postby see50girl » March 26th, 2009, 8:24 pm

LLB,
Glad you weren't hurt and the Beauty survived unscathed. As for the ego, remember, there are only 2 kinds of bikers...those who have dropped and those who will drop. :o
Glad you are ok my friend ! [ezrider]
Liz Z
2006 Suzuki C50

Please know that I am aware of the hazards. I want to do it because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be a challenge to others.
Amelia Earhart

annieh
VOL Original

Postby annieh » March 26th, 2009, 8:54 pm

at least you and your beauty weren't hurt (badly)

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » March 26th, 2009, 9:25 pm

All's well that ends well!

Pavement was a wonderful invention! lol
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

SSquire
VOL Original

Postby SSquire » March 26th, 2009, 9:41 pm

sbman wrote:Our instructor teaching our motorcycle class showed a film on picking up bikes. It wasn't an "official" film, but it showed a few ways to get bikes upright again, including the one kaitiff mentioned. They had different bikes to demonstrate with, including a large tourer, and different size people, including a smaller woman, though she didn't lift the tour bike. Now, if I could only remember the name of the DVD.

The DVD is "Ride Like a Pro," but the technique doesn't work so well if there's no traction to begin with. It relies on the traction of the tires keeping them in place while the top of the bike is pushed back on top of them again.
Live Long * Ride Hard * Eat Well -Biker Chef
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - S. Clemens
VOL#103 (originally 8226) / VR #1124 / TOTT Plank Owner

akaCaveman
Hang Around

Postby akaCaveman » March 26th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Latelife - I noticed you are from Marietta. I live in Roswell. I'm not sure where that road is, but it looks like something I've been on before. Glad to see nothing serious happened.

By the way, I ride with the North Atlanta Chapter of the Southern Cruisers. We meet in Marietta once a month at Delkwood Grill. Do you ride with anyone or would you be interested in getting to know the group. All the riders are middle age to late lifers, so you'd fit right in. you can go to the SCRC website to sign up.

Just thought you might be interested.

Caveman

latelifebiker
Prospect

Postby latelifebiker » March 26th, 2009, 11:43 pm

You are BOSS, Caveman. The Delkwood is less than half a mile from my house. I would love the opportunity to meet with you guys. Just tell me when and where. Thanks for thinking of me. My wife will surely be interested, too.
That bad stretch of "shortcut" is in South Carolina. I was a mile down it before I recognized it wasn't just a brief jog like the last one my GPS put me on. It went on for another mile or so. The NEXT time my GPS told me to turn down a dirt road I just kept going and waited for it to recalculate the route. Worked out fine.
I'll check the SCRC website, but please keep me in mind.
LLB
2006 C90T

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”