What are your odds?

Doc
Site Admin

What are your odds?

Postby Doc » October 20th, 2009, 2:43 pm

A co-worker sent me the following link. He's doing some research on deaths caused by vaccinations, and found this at the National Safety Council website.

http://www.nsc.org/research/odds.aspx

It's interesting that you're more likely to die as a pedestrian or occupant of a car than on a motorcycle..

one year odds are 1 in 48,816 for a pedestrian, 1 in 20,331 as a car occupant, 1 in 67,588 as a motorcycle rider..

Rob
VOL Original

Re: What are your odds?

Postby Rob » October 20th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Very encouraging.

It reminded me of something Quigg said a while back, something to the effect of "the the safest car design would be one that places the driver right on the front bumper!" lol
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Shady
NYSHIATOR!!!

Postby Shady » October 20th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Thanks Doc. Perfect ammo for the geeks at work who like to tell me how much they would like to ride a motorcycle but don't (thus making them smarter, more responsible, blah, blah, blah) because it is so dangerous.

It is not what you pack, it is that you pack.
Hatred + Government + Disarmed Civilians = Genocide

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » October 20th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Shady maybe its not the motorcycle in their case maybe they would bring the stats up and they know it...................

CG
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

latelifebiker
Prospect

Postby latelifebiker » October 20th, 2009, 10:34 pm

DocO wrote:A co-worker sent me the following link. He's doing some research on deaths caused by vaccinations, and found this at the National Safety Council website.
It's interesting that you're more likely to die as a pedestrian or occupant of a car than on a motorcycle..
one year odds are 1 in 48,816 for a pedestrian, 1 in 20,331 as a car occupant, 1 in 67,588 as a motorcycle rider..

Mark Twain said most people use statistics the way a drunk uses a lamppost: more for support than for illumination.
There's an interesting little quirk that we are ALL guilty of indulging when we read reports containing numbers.
It's called "confirmation bias." That is to say, we find a way to make the numbers agree with OUR OWN point of view.
I hate to be the bubble-burster here, but... EVERYBODY IS A PEDESTRIAN-- 100% OF US. AND EVERYBODY RIDES IN CARS-- 100% OF US.
FEWER THAN TEN PERCENT OF US RIDE MOTORCYCLES. IN OTHER WORDS 90 PERCENT OF THE POPULATION HAS NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER OF DYING ON A MOTORCYCLE. NINE TIMES AS MANY PEOPLE DON'T RIDE AS DO RIDE, YET WE MANAGE A DEATH RATE ONLY ABOUT A THIRD OF WHAT'S RECORDED BY CAR OCCUPANTS.
That's not a record to celebrate.
It doesn't make riding any less fun, but I won't be using these numbers as a reason to let my guard down... or my safety standards.
Your friends at work are probably smart enough to figure out the numbers.
-LLB
"Between the dreaming and the doing lie the Doldrums"
"Every day-- fair of foul-- you have to sail the wind you've got."
2006 C90T
SCRC Chptr #183 (N. Atlanta)

Shady
NYSHIATOR!!!

Postby Shady » October 21st, 2009, 6:53 am

latelifebiker wrote:
DocO wrote:A co-worker sent me the following link. He's doing some research on deaths caused by vaccinations, and found this at the National Safety Council website.

Mark Twain said most people use statistics the way a drunk uses a lamppost: more for support than for illumination.
There's an interesting little quirk that we are ALL guilty of indulging when we read reports containing numbers.
It's called "confirmation bias." That is to say, we find a way to make the numbers agree with OUR OWN point of view.
I hate to be the bubble-burster here, but... EVERYBODY IS A PEDESTRIAN-- 100% OF US. AND EVERYBODY RIDES IN CARS-- 100% OF US.
FEWER THAN TEN PERCENT OF US RIDE MOTORCYCLES. IN OTHER WORDS 90 PERCENT OF THE POPULATION HAS NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER OF DYING ON A MOTORCYCLE. NINE TIMES AS MANY PEOPLE DON'T RIDE AS DO RIDE, YET WE MANAGE A DEATH RATE ONLY ABOUT A THIRD OF WHAT'S RECORDED BY CAR OCCUPANTS.
That's not a record to celebrate.
It doesn't make riding any less fun, but I won't be using these numbers as a reason to let my guard down... or my safety standards.
Your friends at work are probably smart enough to figure out the numbers.
-LLB

Last edited by Shady on October 21st, 2009, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

It is not what you pack, it is that you pack.
Hatred + Government + Disarmed Civilians = Genocide

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » October 21st, 2009, 7:59 am

Who lets their gaurd down when riding because there is a number out there? That seems a bit silly too me.
CG
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » October 21st, 2009, 8:07 am

To me, riding a bike is close to Quigg's suggestion of "placing the driver right on the front bumper". I have no illusions of safety while riding.

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » October 21st, 2009, 3:51 pm

I figure my odds are a little worse where I live because of the deer overpopulation problem. That MSF training where you weave around the cones helped prepare me for riding on 40 between Hagerstown and Frederick, where you have to weave around all the dead carcasses!

Since I started riding I have become a safer driver, and I wish everyone was required to do some time on a motorcycle.

Since I started riding I enjoy life more, and that is the stat that really matters!
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » October 21st, 2009, 9:04 pm

Rob wrote:Since I started riding I have become a safer driver, and I wish everyone was required to do some time on a motorcycle.

Since I started riding I enjoy life more, and that is the stat that really matters!

Brilliant!

CG

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”