Wear ear protection

Pass
Prospect

Re: Wear ear protection

Postby Pass » June 8th, 2008, 7:18 pm

Chasman wrote:
wiseguydave wrote:Sometimes necessary on these boards too.... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

... now that is just a dang-funny pic ...

... yeah ... my hearing ain't what it used to be either ... same reasons (guns, music, loud pipes) ... try some Sure E2c (I think that's right) noise reducing earphones with your devices (yeah ... I know that's illegal too) ... really cuts back on all the wind noise and mufflers so you don't have to crank the tunes up to high to drown them out either ... work great ... these are the older version of what the professional musicians wear on stage and in studios (instead of a monitor pointing back at them) so they can hear themselves and barely anyone else ... now I wear them with or without the tunes cranking ... ebay's got them all the time ... price has come down on them over the years, though I am still using the ones I got back in 2004/05 (somewhere in there) ...

BINGO! Was just about to say grab some Sure's... I just picked up a pair today and am impressed! They allow me to hear my music (without 2 stages of full volume -- like all of my old sets) and STILL hear the motor w/o much wind noise. Very good purchase IMO.
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

Bowtie
VOL Original

Postby Bowtie » June 8th, 2008, 7:36 pm

I keep saying I'm going to do it, and never do. Sad part is, I've got a place to pick em up within a couple of miles from me.

Tomorrow I get it done.

Thanks Ken, and best of luck with your hearing.
2012 Road Giide cUSTOM
CHROME FREAKING YELLOW

callahanbrkpds
Prospect

Postby callahanbrkpds » June 26th, 2008, 10:43 am

I just put in a pair of earplugs today for the first time while riding the interstate, Wow! It made a huge difference and made the ride 60 miles to work way more enjoyable. Maryland state law (where I live) prohibits the use of ear plugs :x , but I think they improve my safety by cutting back on the deafening wind noise.

Bowtie
VOL Original

Postby Bowtie » June 26th, 2008, 10:53 am

That is funny they would prhobit plugs. I can see not wanting music, but I think the plugs actually make it easier to hear some of the traffic sounds. They take the Harshness out of the wind and pipes.
2012 Road Giide cUSTOM
CHROME FREAKING YELLOW

callahanbrkpds
Prospect

Postby callahanbrkpds » June 26th, 2008, 11:14 am

Bowtie wrote:That is funny they would prhobit plugs. I can see not wanting music, but I think the plugs actually make it easier to hear some of the traffic sounds. They take the Harshness out of the wind and pipes.

Exactly. I had never used them before, then I read about them here. They made all the difference in the world, I find wind noise to be quite fatiguing at speed on a highway. I wear a half helmet, the harness covers my ears so it hides the plugs from view. I thought about a windscreen, but I am sort of a minimalist.

lyd
VOL Original

Postby lyd » June 29th, 2008, 8:32 am

callahanbrkpds wrote:Maryland state law (where I live) prohibits the use of ear plugs

Custom-fit plugs are not prohibited (same is true in other states with similar laws), so if you have a set made by an audiologist you will be fully legal.

I've been looking into this, because I really prefer to wear plugs on long rides, but I must have the smallest and/or twistiest ear canals on earth. I just don't have much luck with any of the generic sorts, and I have tried dozens. They just don't go far enough into my ear to be fully effective.

So, anyway, it seems that if you look around you can find custom moulds for well under $100. Not sure yet what the visit to the audiologist will cost on top of that, but I can't imagine it is too terribly much.

There are several "do your own mould" offers out there too, but I am leery of trying that, at least the first time around.
How many joints are in a lyd? None. It is spelled, not pronounced. Say, "el why dee."

Big-E
Hang Around

Postby Big-E » June 29th, 2008, 9:37 am

just had a hearing test at work, they say hearing is worse in my left ear because i ridde in my cage with the window down.

jfwarren
VOL Original

Postby jfwarren » April 6th, 2009, 8:06 pm

A little late reading this post but this is good advice.

I have had the exact same experiences (lots of competitive shooting with ear protectors but a lot hunting and motorcycling without them) and now my ears seem to ring all the time.

They say these are the early signs of deafness.

Ear plugs are definitely the way to go. Particulaly effective blocking wind nose inside of a full face helmet.

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » April 6th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Haven't been able to hear a thing since I went to see AC/DC a few months ago! Great concert, but WAY TOO LOUD!
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Headhunter
The Bishop

Postby Headhunter » April 7th, 2009, 8:27 am

As a matter of fact I am applying for my Gov't check for my hearing today!

When I went in to the Army I had near perfect hearing. 10 years later, The hearign in my left ear is just about gone, no highs, no lows and only 3 mid ranges left and my right ear I can't hear the highs.

Now on the paperwork it was due to being on various tanks, firing ranges and explosive teams.

I am positive it had nothing to do with going to Motley Crue concerts, Raves over in germany or riding my bike without earplugs. :)

I am hoping I will qualify for a hearing aid and I can really actually hear better.....

And to agree with Pass, a good.. I mean good set of headphones are worth thier weight in gold. I use the Harman Kardon HK EP 730BLK and with them in I cannot even hear the engine. Very nice.
I am smellin' like the rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Pink Service Manual 01-04

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”