Helmets

annieh
VOL Original

Re: Helmets

Postby annieh » March 5th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Applecover wrote:Don't even get me started on their taxes. Their policies are borderline fascism!

Try Maryland........but there its "fees" like 250 to tag a truck, 200 to tag a car, 100 to tag a bike, 35 bucks a year to flush your toilet.......those are all courtesy of the previous gubner Ehrlich who didn't raise the taxes.

Applecover
Redneck Innkeeper

Postby Applecover » March 5th, 2011, 2:05 pm

mechbart wrote:
Applecover wrote:Yeah, it really surprised me that FL repealed the helmet law... I truly never expected it to happen.

Does that mean http://www.iihs.org/laws/helmetusecurrent.aspx#2 is out of date?
When did this happen? It was that you needed to show proof of medical insurance then you could.

You're right... my bad. Not completely "repealed"... but still, I'm surprised that it even got this far.

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » March 5th, 2011, 2:12 pm

The Volusianator wrote:I'd wear this som b**** everyday!

That is f'in cool
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07
'08 FLHTCUSE3 - Sept 07 - Oct 13
'14 Indian Chieftain - Oct 13 - ??

ecks
VOL Original

Postby ecks » March 5th, 2011, 3:01 pm

LabRat wrote:
Rob wrote:Three pages without anybody defending their right to ride without a helmet?

Back when I joined the Vol, just about every state required bikers to wear helmets. I believe PA was the first to make the powers that be buckle under. I might be wrong. Many other states followed.

Bikers rule! Thanks for protecting my rights!

Yeah, I'm even drunker and headed to bed!

Actually what's more amazing is 3 pages of relatively like minded people without anybody calling anyone an idiot for not wearing a helmet or getting their panties in a wad because we believe that people shouldn't be forced to wear a helmet. Maybe we should start a thread on loud pipes :lol: :lol:

[CLAP] [CLAP]
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

MuskokaVol
Prospect

Postby MuskokaVol » March 10th, 2011, 5:10 pm

I have no problem wearing a helmet, it's the law here in Ontario. If you have ever riden in southern Ontario, I think you would were a helmet, the motorists (cars and trucks) are some of the worst in all of Canada, Toronto area especially. A large number of immigrants that aren't used to driving here get behind the wheel. In addition, we have govt. health insurance, so if the govt. pays our hospital bill, then it sort of has the right to legislate safety equipment for vehicles, ie. helets and seatbelts. I have taken little rides very close to home on back roads without the lid, but it wasn't much different then with my skid lid. I know you guys/gals south of our border are very protective of your personal civil rights, but remember, it's a lot easier for you all to own a gun than here in Ontario. This is where all of the "Bleeding Heart Liberals" live and they all run for political offices. I think we just need to pick our battles, does wearing a helmet make the ride less enjoyable? We should be happy we are still allowed to ride, you know all "bikers" are outlaws, (not my opinion, just that of many ignorant people).
100% effort 100% of the time!

ecks
VOL Original

Postby ecks » March 10th, 2011, 5:22 pm

MuskokaVol wrote:I have no problem wearing a helmet, it's the law here in Ontario. If you have ever riden in southern Ontario, I think you would were a helmet, the motorists (cars and trucks) are some of the worst in all of Canada, Toronto area especially. A large number of immigrants that aren't used to driving here get behind the wheel. In addition, we have govt. health insurance, so if the govt. pays our hospital bill, then it sort of has the right to legislate safety equipment for vehicles, ie. helets and seatbelts. I have taken little rides very close to home on back roads without the lid, but it wasn't much different then with my skid lid. I know you guys/gals south of our border are very protective of your personal civil rights, but remember, it's a lot easier for you all to own a gun than here in Ontario. This is where all of the "Bleeding Heart Liberals" live and they all run for political offices. I think we just need to pick our battles, does wearing a helmet make the ride less enjoyable? We should be happy we are still allowed to ride, you know all "bikers" are outlaws, (not my opinion, just that of many ignorant people).

Your roads should be safer this time of year. All of your extremely old, blind and handicapped drivers are all here terrorizing my roads and safety. Please call them home.
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

Applecover
Redneck Innkeeper

Postby Applecover » March 10th, 2011, 7:45 pm

ecks wrote:
MuskokaVol wrote:I have no problem wearing a helmet, it's the law here in Ontario. If you have ever riden in southern Ontario, I think you would were a helmet, the motorists (cars and trucks) are some of the worst in all of Canada, Toronto area especially. A large number of immigrants that aren't used to driving here get behind the wheel. In addition, we have govt. health insurance, so if the govt. pays our hospital bill, then it sort of has the right to legislate safety equipment for vehicles, ie. helets and seatbelts. I have taken little rides very close to home on back roads without the lid, but it wasn't much different then with my skid lid. I know you guys/gals south of our border are very protective of your personal civil rights, but remember, it's a lot easier for you all to own a gun than here in Ontario. This is where all of the "Bleeding Heart Liberals" live and they all run for political offices. I think we just need to pick our battles, does wearing a helmet make the ride less enjoyable? We should be happy we are still allowed to ride, you know all "bikers" are outlaws, (not my opinion, just that of many ignorant people).

Your roads should be safer this time of year. All of your extremely old, blind and handicapped drivers are all here terrorizing my roads and safety. Please call them home.

Frickin' hilarious... AND true! As I said in another post, I don't even like driving into Port Charlotte from Punta Gorda... equivalent of driving from Mayberry into, ummm Miami! Not really, but close!

As my wife and her sister say, according to their license plates, they're here for souvenirs... so get 'em and go!

Just kidding, if it weren't for the Yanks and the Canucks, our economy would be even worse than it is.

ecks
VOL Original

Postby ecks » March 10th, 2011, 7:55 pm

I rode from Nokomis to Pine Island Monday. That was an experience. Tourists from Canada doing 25mph on Pine Island Road. 5 more cars from various other states following NOBODY would pass. I did! Everyone of them looked like they belonged in a casket.

Skrapiron
Patched

Postby Skrapiron » March 10th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Helmets? We don't need no stinking helmets! :roll: Definitely pro-choice in this corner, but I believe it needs to be an informed decision. Having bounced my head off hard objects twice, I appreciate the fact that a helmet can help assist you in walking away..... Rather than being carted away....
What was once impossible is now routine. The only thing that has changed is my perspective.

ecks
VOL Original

Postby ecks » March 10th, 2011, 8:22 pm

No one has called anyone stupid for not wearing a helmet? Where's the conflict?

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”