Helmets

ecks
VOL Original

Helmets

Postby ecks » March 4th, 2011, 4:45 pm

So, what do you all think about helmets? Should we wear them? Should we not wear them? Should we be encased in a full face? Are full face helmets just a guarantee that mama can have an open casket funeral? Are squids with helmets attached to the bike while wearing shorts and flip flops idiots? Let the battle begin.
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

Rob
VOL Original

Re: Helmets

Postby Rob » March 4th, 2011, 5:33 pm

I'm pro choice all the way on this. I personally choose to wear a helmet, sometimes full, sometimes half.
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

Applecover
Redneck Innkeeper

Postby Applecover » March 4th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Definitely pro-choice, as I am with many other issues... namely seatbelts. Umm, survival of the fittest(smartest) anyone?

Irrelevant material removed...

LOVE to ride without, but don't like being on the interstate doing 90... NC has helmet law
... so I wear one.

Here's more of the debate, that should be MORE interesting: what constitutes a "Legal" helmet? "DOT approved" means nothing. (Again, I'll cite my sources... as I feel I might need to...)
Last edited by Applecover on March 4th, 2011, 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bugman
VOL Original

Postby bugman » March 4th, 2011, 5:45 pm

i didnt wear one down to Clearwater Beach and loved it, of course i dont have much a brain to protect either, just sayin
Been There, Done That, WTF is Next

teddybearfrmhell
Patched

Postby teddybearfrmhell » March 4th, 2011, 6:11 pm

i am pro choice even tho i have no choice..... i promised my mom in 1972 that i would always wear a helmet when i rode..... she has made sure i understand that that promise never expired......

for the rest of the world, your head, your helmet, your problem
DISCLAIMER: I would like to appologize in advance, if anything i say makes you cry, it was not my intention to get your panties in a bunch.

jammie girl
Hot A$$

Postby jammie girl » March 4th, 2011, 6:22 pm

I wear one and always will. But if you don't want to that is fine too. I do get upset if my better half doesn't when he has that opportunity but I guess it is still his choice.

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » March 4th, 2011, 6:40 pm

I nearly always wear one and feel funny without even a skull cap and always wear a seat belt when driving. That being said, I am pro-choice about helmets, seat belts and light bulbs. It is none of the Government's business.
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07
'08 FLHTCUSE3 - Sept 07 - Oct 13
'14 Indian Chieftain - Oct 13 - ??

rodie1200
Prospect

Postby rodie1200 » March 4th, 2011, 6:54 pm

I wear a helmet for my family. One thing that worries me more than having my brains spread across the highway is having them scrambled just enough to keep me alive to the point of becoming a vegtable and thus becoming a burden to my family for years. I refuse to put my family through that. The numbers prove that helmets save lives and prevent those who survive from ending up like Gary Busey i.e. goofy as a toilet seat.
This is why i wear a helmet. Although riding a motorcycle does have an element of danger, I feel I owe it to my loved ones to reduce that element as much as in my power. To do otherwise would just be selfish on my part.
I'm sure you have your reasons why you do or do not wear one, this is just mine.
2007 C-50 with DJ drive
2007 Goldwing GL1800 Air bag model
Also have a bicycle, but i'm too lazy to ride it.

Rob
VOL Original

Postby Rob » March 4th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Anybody remember Y explaining (on the old Vol) that helmets only interfered with the whole point of riding?

How 'bout when Quigg argued that the best way to make cars safe would be to design cars so that drivers had to sit right on the front bumper! :lol:

Who am I to tell a biker he/she has to wear a helmet!
2014 black & chrome HD ultra, 12" mini-apes, 4" Rinehart Racing exhaust, BSEG!!
2003 black & chrome Suzuki Volusia

Metal monsters that let us breathe... -- Zook, a well-remembered VOL Original

jammie girl
Hot A$$

Postby jammie girl » March 4th, 2011, 7:21 pm

Rob wrote:Anybody remember Y explaining (on the old Vol) that helmets only interfered with the whole point of riding?

I don't remember who "Y" is (I might if I have more information) but I do remember someone saying (on the OLD VOL) that the helmet made his neck hurt (good god, get another helmet) and if they passed a helmet law in his state (Louisiana) he just wouldn't ride! What dumbass!!!

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”