Helmet Law Protester Dies

BottleCap
Prospect

Helmet Law Protester Dies

Postby BottleCap » July 10th, 2011, 9:20 pm

In a motorcycle crash while not wearing a helmet on an ABATE helmet law protest ride.

Town of Onondaga, NY – A Parish man who was participating in a motorcycle helmet protest ride was killed this afternoon when he went over the handlebars of his motorcycle and injured his head on the pavement, state police said.

Philip A. Contos, 55, of 45 East St., Parish, was not wearing a helmet while driving a 1983 Harley Davidson motorcycle south on Route 11 in Onondaga with a large group of other motorcyclists, troopers said.

About 1:30 p.m., troopers said, Contos hit his brakes, the motorcycle fishtailed and went out of control and Contos went over the handlebars.

Contos was taken to Upstate University Hospital where he was pronounced dead, troopers said.

Evidence at the scene and information from the attending physician indicate Contos would have survived if he had been wearing a Department of Transportation approved helmet, troopers said.

The protest in which Contos was riding was organized by American Bikers Aimed Towards Education, Trooper Jack Keller said.

- http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/ ... orcyc.html

Just sayin
Driving a 2005 C50 enginecycle.

ecks
VOL Original

Re: Helmet Law Protester Dies

Postby ecks » July 10th, 2011, 9:30 pm

This sux but he was doing what he believed in.
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

teddybearfrmhell
Patched

Postby teddybearfrmhell » July 10th, 2011, 9:49 pm

totally support his right to live his life how he wanted to, his head, his decision
DISCLAIMER: I would like to appologize in advance, if anything i say makes you cry, it was not my intention to get your panties in a bunch.

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Postby Luvs2Play » July 10th, 2011, 9:57 pm

It is a sad story for sure, but what upsets me is that a state patrolman can make the call that he would have survived if he was wearing a helmet. This cop should be a doctor if he is that good.

ecks
VOL Original

Postby ecks » July 10th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Or a Supreme Being.
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

mdram
Prospect

Postby mdram » July 11th, 2011, 7:06 am

it was his choice

BUT if he was knowingly breaking the law, does a life insurance company have to pay?
03 Volusia
Cobra Streetrod Slashdown Exhaust (minus top tip), jet kit, light bar, highway bar, Switchblade 2-up

If you wanna know where the lower shore is, just head to the end of the earth and hang a left, 2 blocks over and your there :)

teddybearfrmhell
Patched

Postby teddybearfrmhell » July 11th, 2011, 10:46 am

mdram wrote:it was his choice

BUT if he was knowingly breaking the law, does a life insurance company have to pay?

if they dont have to pay, fine.... if you drive without a seat belt on and die in a wreck they will not pay either.....
DISCLAIMER: I would like to appologize in advance, if anything i say makes you cry, it was not my intention to get your panties in a bunch.

mightydog
Patched

Postby mightydog » July 11th, 2011, 10:47 am

sounds like it could be an argument that a 'learn to ride' course might be more valuable than a helmet.

teddybearfrmhell
Patched

Postby teddybearfrmhell » July 11th, 2011, 11:06 am

when your time it up, its up.... could have died fixing his bathroom sink... the ONLY thing that makes this remarkable in ANY way is that it happened at a helmet protest ride.

mdram
Prospect

Postby mdram » July 11th, 2011, 11:10 am

teddybearfrmhell wrote:when your time it up, its up.... could have died fixing his bathroom sink... the ONLY thing that makes this remarkable in ANY way is that it happened at a helmet protest ride.

kinda ironic though isnt it

wonder if theres a study, there has to be, of fatality with and without helmets
03 Volusia
Cobra Streetrod Slashdown Exhaust (minus top tip), jet kit, light bar, highway bar, Switchblade 2-up

If you wanna know where the lower shore is, just head to the end of the earth and hang a left, 2 blocks over and your there :)

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”