Advanced Motorcycle Safety Course

RideAllYear
VOL Original

Re: Advanced Motorcycle Safety Course

Postby RideAllYear » August 31st, 2009, 2:17 pm

26nevS wrote:I know a few of us have taken the basic MSC, but has anyone here taken the advanced course they offer? Just looking for some feedback on it.

I have done both; taken the course and taught it.

For some reason that I don't understand, where I teach we have rather a lot of experienced riders come through the Basic course (where you ride our bikes) but very few come through the Experienced course (where you ride your own). Of the two Experienced Rider Courses our site offered this year (and I taught both), neither was full; by the same token, we teach the Basic Rider Course through the end of October, and they were all full by the first part of August.

The BRC allows more time to cover some of the mental aspects of riding whereas the ERC assumes an awful lot of knowledge on the rider's part. I think an experienced rider will get enough out of either class to make it worth their time, IMHO.
Painfully stock '03 Silver & White
>>> insert witty quote here <<<

Gonz
VOL Original

Postby Gonz » August 31st, 2009, 4:14 pm

I'm torn on this one too. I took the Experienced Rider course and didn't feel like I got much out of it besides the opportunity to try all the skills on my own bike. But then again the parking lot is permanently painted and about 5 blocks from my house so I can go do those skills anytime I feel like. There were only three of us in the class, yet I don't feel like there was very much instruction really going on. In fact we ended early because we had covered everything.

I was really hoping they would talk more about strategy and we would do stuff like case studies where they would explain what goes wrong in certain accidents and failures. Or perhaps they would ask us what we have problems with or questions about and they would teach us about those things.

Maybe I just got a bad class or instructors, or perhaps I just know everything already... :ugeek:
Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed, they don't mean quite so much, except you get to hang out with your working friends.

Win an argument, lose a friend. I miss you Gene!

RideAllYear
VOL Original

Postby RideAllYear » September 1st, 2009, 7:20 am

Gonz wrote:I was really hoping they would talk more about strategy and we would do stuff like case studies where they would explain what goes wrong in certain accidents and failures. Or perhaps they would ask us what we have problems with or questions about and they would teach us about those things.

There is more discussion of the strategies like "SEE" (Search, Evaluate, and Execute) in the BRC, including some interactive scenarios where the students are shown video of situations then asked what they saw as a potential danger. There is discussion on 2-, 4-, and 12-second lead times as part of the SEE strategy, as well.

There isn't much about case studies or collision reconstruction because each situation is different; what we talk about is the myriad factors that can contribute to a crash and how to reduce the number of factors that can contribute.

Gonz wrote:Maybe I just got a bad class or instructors, or perhaps I just know everything already... :ugeek:

I hesitate to comment on other instructors. I wasn't there, I wasn't in the situation, and I don't want other instructors 'second-guessing' me or my training techniques; with that said, I'm sorry that you didn't get more out of your ERC experience.

It sounds as you'd enjoy the BRC more, even though you're an experienced rider. I've had many students tell me that even with 10 or 20 years riding under their belts, the BRC helped them 'unlearn' bad habits they'd developed and sharpen skills they gotten lax on.

fiv_oh_po_po
Patched

Postby fiv_oh_po_po » September 2nd, 2009, 2:08 am

Well... To sum it up...

You get more people to take the BASIC Class because you use someone elses bike... Who cares if you lay it down...

You don't get as many on the ADVANCE Class because you use your own bike in situations which will cause a person who is not really experienced to DROP THEIR OWN BIKE...

Drop your own bike = Repair Bills...

Drop The School's Bike = Opps... Who cares... ;-)

RON
2005 Suzuki Blvd C50 [2/2005-10/2007]
2008 HD FLHR "POSER" King (Peace Officer Special Edition Road King) [10/2007 ordered, 12/2007 delivered - 4/2014]

Officially Bikeless since 4/2014... :'-(

RideAllYear
VOL Original

Postby RideAllYear » September 2nd, 2009, 10:10 am

fiv_oh_po_po wrote:You get more people to take the BASIC Class because you use someone elses bike... Who cares if you lay it down...

I don't disagree; I sometimes use that as a selling point for the Basic class.

davidc
Hang Around

Postby davidc » September 2nd, 2009, 5:41 pm

I took the experienced riders course only about 2 months after the beginners course. Like the comments above, there was repetition on the parking lot of some of the same exercises at 25 mph or less, but it was on your own bike.

This was good for me because I'm a newbee, and my c50 sure handles differently the the 200 dual bike I had the first time. I learned how far you have to lean to scrape the foot platform, but nobody laid their bike down.

It was $ about 40 well spent, even though it was pretty boring. I would not do it again.

Hope this helps. David

Gonz
VOL Original

Postby Gonz » September 3rd, 2009, 9:24 am

I guess my overall opinion of the class is that I would never recommend someone [i]not[/] take it. Everyone is different, and if there's a chance you might get something worthwhile out of the class that keeps you safer on the road than it's absolutely worth the $ and a few hours of your time.
Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed, they don't mean quite so much, except you get to hang out with your working friends.

Win an argument, lose a friend. I miss you Gene!

SSquire
VOL Original

Postby SSquire » September 3rd, 2009, 7:14 pm

I took the ERC, it was pretty much like the BRC without the classroom and skipping some of the "this is how you use the clutch" stuff at the beginning. I have to take it to ride on base and got paid to do so.
Live Long * Ride Hard * Eat Well -Biker Chef
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - S. Clemens
VOL#103 (originally 8226) / VR #1124 / TOTT Plank Owner

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”