Advanced Motorcycle Safety Course

26nevS
Hang Around

Advanced Motorcycle Safety Course

Postby 26nevS » June 8th, 2008, 7:11 pm

I know a few of us have taken the basic MSC, but has anyone here taken the advanced course they offer? Just looking for some feedback on it.
'05 C50T...DJ Drive..Still goin' strong! :-P

Pass
Prospect

Re: Advanced Motorcycle Safety Course

Postby Pass » June 8th, 2008, 7:14 pm

26nevS wrote:I know a few of us have taken the basic MSC, but has anyone here taken the advanced course they offer? Just looking for some feedback on it.

Ya.. but by the end of it I WAS doing the teaching... :o :shock:
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

annieh
VOL Original

Postby annieh » June 8th, 2008, 7:50 pm

DLFox (on the board) is an instructor of that class.

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » June 8th, 2008, 7:55 pm

It's close to the same class.. the difference is, you use your bike instead of one of the little 250's, and you go right to the tougher stuff right away instead of all the friction zone stuff.. A really good course to take for sure!

mistressk
Hang Around

Postby mistressk » June 9th, 2008, 8:48 am

i just took one on friday/saturday...it's the "M2 exit course" in ontario (graduated licensing)..

3hrs in classroom on friday night, reviewing a lot of safety stuff, and letting you know what they'll be looking for on the riding test (the instructors are also the examiners).

saturday morning, 3hrs in 1st gear in a parking lot. you do the "M1 exit" riding test (low speed maneuvering - challenging on something with as long a wheelbase as the C50, but manageable). you also get into some intersection scenarios, and they explain what they are looking for in the way of mirror checks, traffic checks, blind spot checks, timing for turning on and off your signal, and approach asnd exit strategies. part way through this, they issue radios and coach you as you ride around the lot. this also helps people who aren't used to using radios while riding become acclimatized.

in the afternoon, you do two group rides - one with an instructor leading, on his bike, and one with an instructor following in a car (giving directions over the radio). they went through all of the areas (in some cases the exact route) used on the riding exam. both group rides include stints on the superslab, during which you are to execute at least 1 lane change.

the actual exam is performed individually, with an instructor following in a car, giving directions (but no coaching) over the radio. the ontario M2 exit test requires 4 left & 4 right turns, 2 lane changes, 2 roadside stops (kickstand down, in neutral, standing "hands free"), and 1 jaunt on slab with lane change. there are 400 possible demerit points, out of which you are only allowed to accumulate 25 before failing the test.

after taking the course, i managed a PERFECT ride. i'm not sure i actually would have passed had i just taken the exam at the ministry of transport. it also REALLY helps your awareness, and can help break any bad habits you've developed.

good stuff!

cheers!

-mistress k
"live it up, live it down 'til we hit the ground" - motorhead

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » June 9th, 2008, 9:01 am

It is good to help you realize some habit you may have formed that you should not have. It also makes you go "oh yeah thats right"

OS1
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

26nevS
Hang Around

Postby 26nevS » June 9th, 2008, 9:04 am

Thanks MK. Yes, you have described our basic course here in South Canada. They also offer an advanced course where you use your own bike and skip the 1st gear stuff...

mistressk
Hang Around

Postby mistressk » June 9th, 2008, 11:07 am

uhh, what i described above WAS using your own bike. our basic course uses 125-250cc bikes owned by the college, is one night of theory (friday), then two full days on on-bike in parking lots (no street riding at all, and you start off saturday morning by walking the bikes, and having a partner push you to get used to braking), with the test being sunday afternoon. that's the M1 exit course (you only do a written test to get your M1 license, which is good for 90 days - you MUST get your M2 within 90 days, or start all over again).

the M2 exit course focuses much more on street scenarios than bike handling and mechanics of riding. the M1 exit test is about 5mins worth of riding in a parking lot - the M2 exit test is a 45min ride through residential and industrial areas, and on the "interstate".

the only reasons for the 1st gear stuff in the morning are:

1) make sure that all riders have sufficient control over their motorcycles to be safe on the road.

2) using "intersections" made of pylons in the parking lot allows you to practice the "mirror check, signal, traffic check, blind spot check - move through intersection - cancel signal, mirror check" sequence without having to worry about other traffic (all bikes travel the circuit in one direction). the reason you don't leave 1st gear is because one single parking lot has 4 intersections, 2 lane changes, and space for 2 roadside stops, so you're constantly transitioning from one maneuver to another, often doing a tight U-turn to get from one "obstacle" to the next.

cheers!

-mistress k

26nevS
Hang Around

Postby 26nevS » June 9th, 2008, 5:59 pm

Wow... we don't hafta do any of that chit!

mistressk
Hang Around

Postby mistressk » June 10th, 2008, 9:08 am

technically, i don't HAVE to, either...you can just write the M1 test, take the M1 exit exam at the ministry of transport (MTO), then come back and take the M2 exit exam at MTO after sufficient time has elapsed.

they'll still be looking for all of those steps (mirror check, signal, traffic check, etc..), you just won't have been warned about it in advance ;)

only about 30% of people who do their M2 exit at MTO actually pass...over 90% of people who take the M2 exit course pass. that, and breaking bad habits/reinforcing good habits, are why i took the course 8-)

so everyone knows:

M1 license: cannot ride after dark (1/2hr after sunset to 1/2hr before sunrise), cannot ride with a passenger, cannot ride on limited-access freeways (superslab), must have zero blood alcohol. held for minimum 2 months - maximum of 3 months.

M2 license: must have zero blood alcohol. held for minimum of 18 months (if course taken) or 2 years (if no course taken) - maximum of 5 years.

M license: rider may have up to .08 blood alcohol. permanent license - renewed with regular driver's license.

cheers!

-mistress k

Return to “Motorcycle Safety”