Rolling Thunder 2011

Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware
Skrapiron
Patched

Re: Rolling Thunder 2011

Postby Skrapiron » May 31st, 2011, 4:15 pm

Now I remember why I was looking at getting a bigger bike after RT last year. When we got separated from the group by Ass-hats who think assured clear distance is an invitation to cut us off, we'd have to hammer the throttle to speed up and get around the cars and catch back up with the group.

This year wasn't so bad, as I had my own GPS and a much better knowledge of where we were going. I didn't feel like I HAD to get up to warp 1 to keep from getting lost. I was able to ride at a more relaxed pace and we did catch up eventually...

I will say this, John. I don't like to ride fast. Even on Grouch's bike, I still keep it at the speed limit. I have been known to play around from time to time, but by and large, I DON'T exceed the speedlimit by more than 5mph. When I have the kids in tow, I become an even more defensive rider.
What was once impossible is now routine. The only thing that has changed is my perspective.

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » May 31st, 2011, 4:27 pm

To me defensive riding is at least keeping up with the flow of traffic and not having cars wizzing around you in on all sides.
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07
'08 FLHTCUSE3 - Sept 07 - Oct 13
'14 Indian Chieftain - Oct 13 - ??

annieh
VOL Original

Postby annieh » May 31st, 2011, 5:54 pm

warp 1? at what point did we hit warp 1? I thought we were just cruising...........

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » May 31st, 2011, 6:15 pm

Per the GPS:
Max recorded speed on 5/27 was 66 MPH
Max recorded speed on 5/28 was 68 MPH

Max recorded speed on 5/29 was 76 MPH - however this is irrelevant since I was riding alone when I hit this.
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07

Skrapiron
Patched

Postby Skrapiron » May 31st, 2011, 6:38 pm

Well, when the posted speed limit for the beltway is 55 (45 in the construction zones), we were riding a bit faster than I wished we had. When Grouch and I got cut off by traffic, the pace required us to ride at 70+mph to catch up. That is a speed I am not comfortable riding at, in heavy traffic, in a posted 55mph zone.

Not a critique, just a preference.....
What was once impossible is now routine. The only thing that has changed is my perspective.

Skrapiron
Patched

Postby Skrapiron » May 31st, 2011, 6:42 pm

The other preference is maintaining a 1 second interval between bikes. If you noticed, grouch and I ride in a loose staggered formation. We're not comfortable riding in tight groups, especially in heavy traffic where we may need the additional space to react to idiot drivers. Your big bikes may have exceptional brakes that will allow you to stop on a dime and keep it shiny side up. I'll be the first to admit that my bike's brakes are marginal at best. I often need the additional space just to get the thing whoa'd up....

annieh
VOL Original

Postby annieh » May 31st, 2011, 6:49 pm

Skrapiron wrote:The other preference is maintaining a 1 second interval between bikes. If you noticed, grouch and I ride in a loose staggered formation. We're not comfortable riding in tight groups, especially in heavy traffic where we may need the additional space to react to idiot drivers. Your big bikes may have exceptional brakes that will allow you to stop on a dime and keep it shiny side up. I'll be the first to admit that my bike's brakes are marginal at best. I often need the additional space just to get the thing whoa'd up....

Unfortunately, in that area as a rule, if you give them an inch, they will take a mile. I learned to ride in that area and I was taught to stay on the rider in front of me butt. That way a cage won't cut in between you.

as a former VOL rider, I do understand what you are saying about riding the Vol with big boy/girl bikes, and how at times it can be difficult to keep up. at times I felt like a little kid pedalling as fast as I could and as hard as I could to keep up with the grownups. I solved that problem by getting a big girl bike (that also walked away from WFW's C90 in a heartbeat)

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » May 31st, 2011, 7:00 pm

Not trying to start an argument, because we went down this path last year when the impression was given that we were speed maniacs.

The places where we hit those higher speeds were on I-66 were the posted speed was 65.

Annie, FX4 and I also rode in staggered formation, just a little tighter to prevent people from cutting in between is. Additionally, since I had a bigger bike that takes up more of the lane, I often broke stagger and blocked cars from cutting in behind me, particularly on the merges to keep you from getting cut off.

The intent of posting our max speeds was to dispel the myth that we were traveling at 'warp speeds' and riding irresponsibly.

It is VERY difficult to keep a group together, particularly in DC riding in a loose formation. Our best year was when we had a glide as lead, one in the middle and one riding tail and we were all on our CBs communication to keep the goup together. That was also the year we posted some of our higher speeds as well.
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07

Skrapiron
Patched

Postby Skrapiron » May 31st, 2011, 7:03 pm

That's just it, Annie. It is just a difference in riding styles. A different bike really wouldn't change that either. I don't ride in that sort of traffic except on a very rare occasion. Likewise, I stay as far away from the slab as I can when I'm on 2 wheels. I spend too much of my life in my cage hustling from point a to point b to do the same on my bike. I ride to relax.. I just can't do that on the slab...

You guys got the bikes you have, because they suit your riding style. I ride the bike I do, because it suits my riding style. I CAN keep up with the bigger bikes, I just don't like doing so.... Grouch is the same way. She's sitting on a 100hp + sport bike and she rides even more gingerly than I do....

Skrapiron
Patched

Postby Skrapiron » May 31st, 2011, 7:08 pm

Like I said, John, it was not a critique. I am NOT an aggressive rider. Never have been, most likely, never will be. Riding in DC requires a lot more ca hones than what I have. The only way I could get comfortable is to do it on a regular basis.... That's not likely to happen any time soon.

If it were just grouch and I, I would have kept the speedo right at 55mph and hugged the right lane. That traffic from Baltimore south just scared the living crap out of me...

You kept a descent pace. My GPS usually showed about 60-62mph. Where I felt uncomfortable was when we were separated by traffic and really had to hustle to catch back up. Most times, that required me to ride at 70mph +, in traffic I am not used to riding in. The point is, it was WAY outside of my comfort zone.

Return to “Southern Rallies”