Rolling Thunder 2011

Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware
LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Re: Rolling Thunder 2011

Postby LabRat » May 31st, 2011, 7:18 pm

No worries, no one got lost, we pretty much stayed together and we had lots of fun. Can't wait for next year.
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07
'08 FLHTCUSE3 - Sept 07 - Oct 13
'14 Indian Chieftain - Oct 13 - ??

Roland
VOL Original

Postby Roland » June 1st, 2011, 7:47 am

LabRat wrote:No worries, no one got lost, we pretty much stayed together and we had lots of fun. Can't wait for next year.
Same here. I may be on a BMX, but I plan on being there if it's nothing more than hang out at the hotel and dinner. :D

Bowtie
VOL Original

Postby Bowtie » June 1st, 2011, 7:49 am

I will be there next year for sure. hated missing this year!
2012 Road Giide cUSTOM
CHROME FREAKING YELLOW

Pass
Prospect

Postby Pass » June 1st, 2011, 8:45 am

Skrapiron wrote:Like I said, John, it was not a critique. I am NOT an aggressive rider. Never have been, most likely, never will be. Riding in DC requires a lot more ca hones than what I have. The only way I could get comfortable is to do it on a regular basis.... That's not likely to happen any time soon.

If it were just grouch and I, I would have kept the speedo right at 55mph and hugged the right lane. That traffic from Baltimore south just scared the living crap out of me...

You kept a descent pace. My GPS usually showed about 60-62mph. Where I felt uncomfortable was when we were separated by traffic and really had to hustle to catch back up. Most times, that required me to ride at 70mph +, in traffic I am not used to riding in. The point is, it was WAY outside of my comfort zone.

Don't get on I95... Stay out of Northern VA, in fact. You won't last a week, dude. Around here, if you aren't doing 70-80 you WILL get run over or run off. The rare exception is during Memorial day weekend due to the vast amounts of bikes and most people heading out on a long weekend. On regular days you'll be road kill if you can't play in traffic and outrun the idiots or maintain traffic flow (read 70-80mph). 55 will get you rolled on 95. Hell, 65 will create road rage. If you were scared by John's speed (read: lack thereof) then you really don't want to ride with me LMAO.
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » June 1st, 2011, 9:11 am

Pass wrote:
Skrapiron wrote:Like I said, John, it was not a critique. I am NOT an aggressive rider. Never have been, most likely, never will be. Riding in DC requires a lot more ca hones than what I have. The only way I could get comfortable is to do it on a regular basis.... That's not likely to happen any time soon.

If it were just grouch and I, I would have kept the speedo right at 55mph and hugged the right lane. That traffic from Baltimore south just scared the living crap out of me...

You kept a descent pace. My GPS usually showed about 60-62mph. Where I felt uncomfortable was when we were separated by traffic and really had to hustle to catch back up. Most times, that required me to ride at 70mph +, in traffic I am not used to riding in. The point is, it was WAY outside of my comfort zone.

Don't get on I95... Stay out of Northern VA, in fact. You won't last a week, dude. Around here, if you aren't doing 70-80 you WILL get run over or run off. The rare exception is during Memorial day weekend due to the vast amounts of bikes and most people heading out on a long weekend. On regular days you'll be road kill if you can't play in traffic and outrun the idiots or maintain traffic flow (read 70-80mph). 55 will get you rolled on 95. Hell, 65 will create road rage. If you were scared by John's speed (read: lack thereof) then you really don't want to ride with me LMAO.

I rode with you when you had your C50 and can only imagine what you are like on your RG :shock: But you are correct, very correct. gotta run with traffic or get run over. Need to ride with little regard for the posted limit, but rather what the flow is doing.
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07

Pass
Prospect

Postby Pass » June 1st, 2011, 9:17 am

LabRat wrote:
Pass wrote:

I rode with you when you had your C50 and can only imagine what you are like on your RG :shock: But you are correct, very correct. gotta run with traffic or get run over. Need to ride with little regard for the posted limit, but rather what the flow is doing.

I can tell you the 6th gear limiter kicks in at 115... but it will hold that speed. And 105 is actually quite comfortable to cruise and only about 3500RPMs :D.

Oh, and she'll go 25 - 100 in a freakin' blink!
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

Bowtie
VOL Original

Postby Bowtie » June 1st, 2011, 9:23 am

That is so true. In that area, or around any larger city, it really isn't safe, or defensive, to drive 55 and say to hell with everyone around you.

Hell, I had folks in little compact cars so close to my rear bumper in my full sized quad cab truck that I couldn't see anything but thier roof! :lol:

And that is in the right lane, with me doing 80 in a 65. At that point, in my truck, I would just let off the gas and slowly lose speed.

On the bike, I have actually pulled onto the shoulder to let cars pass when they are doing insane speeds.

I had a Corvette pass me IN MY LANE because I wasn't going fast enough right around Annapolis. I kept giving him the back off sign, as he was about 3 ft off my tour pack, and he just gunned it and ripped by my right hand side. Again, doing 80 in a 65.

Skrap, I respect you sticking to your guns, really, but I hope you don't do much slab time, and I say this weith repsct to you, but you are truthfully make yourself a hazard not keeping pace with traffic. I have even had cops tell me that a lot of accidents are because someone is not keeping up with the flow. Here in DE, I have had officers tell me they really don't pull you over if you are less than 10 under, and aren't driving wrecklessly.
2012 Road Giide cUSTOM
CHROME FREAKING YELLOW

LabRat
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby LabRat » June 1st, 2011, 9:25 am

Pass wrote:
LabRat wrote:
Pass wrote:

I can tell you the 6th gear limiter kicks in at 115... but it will hold that speed. And 105 is actually quite comfortable to cruise and only about 3500RPMs :D.

Oh, and she'll go 25 - 100 in a freakin' blink!

That's F****n' Awesome! :lol: Welcome to the world with the big boys.
'05 C50 Aug 05 - Sept 07

Pass
Prospect

Postby Pass » June 1st, 2011, 9:49 am

LabRat wrote:That's F****n' Awesome! :lol: Welcome to the world with the big boys.

What's really impressive is how it handles in the curves. I was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline at a fairly constant 55-60 without even trying and never a hint of scraping. Granted I did take some of the switchbacks and downhill turns a little slower than that... It is soooooooo much of an improvement over my little c50 that it isn't even funny.
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

Bowtie
VOL Original

Postby Bowtie » June 1st, 2011, 9:54 am

Don't say that too loud, folks will think we're braggin!
2012 Road Giide cUSTOM
CHROME FREAKING YELLOW

Return to “Southern Rallies”