OctoVRFest 2011: September 22-25, Finger Lakes NY

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania
pbryon
Hang Around

OctoVRFest 2011: September 22-25, Finger Lakes NY

Postby pbryon » February 6th, 2011, 1:33 pm

I'm starting to realize that many folks have left VR to come here, so I thought it might make sense to post this here as well. (This is the first I've been back to this site since probably 2005!) Anyway, below is the information about OctoVRfest 2011. I'll be maintaining the information in the post over at VR, and will come over here and update it once a week or so. Hope to get some folks from all over to attend.
-----
At long last, I’ve got information on OctoVRfest 2011. This year’s fun will be held in New York’s Finger Lakes region, with our hotel being in Owego, Tioga County, NY, a bit west of Binghamton, right by the NY-PA border.

The dates are a touch earlier than usual—September 22-25. (Yes, that means OctoVRfest won’t be happening in October, but we’ll hopefully be warmer by a few degrees too.)

Centrally located for everyone! Distance in miles to Tioga County, NY from:
Binghamton NY—20
Ithaca NY—32
Corning NY—57
Syracuse NY—70
Rochester NY—118
Albany NY—164
Buffalo NY—182
New York City—204
Philadelphia PA—213
Toronto ON—290
Washington DC--326
Boston MA—331
Pittsburgh PA—332
Cleveland OH—346

Our hotel is:
Holiday Inn Express
20 Hickory Park Road
Owego, NY 13827
607-687-9000
OWEGO Hotels - Holiday Inn Express Hotels OWEGO Hotel in OWEGO | Book Direct for Best Rates

Rooms are $105 per night, regardless of you staying 1, 2, or 3 nights, or type of room. (The choices there are 1 King or 2 Doubles.) Make sure when you call that you ask for the rate for the Volusia Riders group.

There is 24 hour cancellation right up until the start of your reservation, and your credit card is not charged until you check in (or don’t cancel). Holiday Inn serves a hot continental breakfast, and there is supposedly a great room that we could hang out in should we choose to hang out indoors. There is a restaurant on site, numerous other fast food places nearby, and gas right across the street.

We have 25 rooms under our name that will be held until 8/31. The contract stipulates that if we don't fill the 25 rooms, the price per night may change, so I would encourage people who are on the fence to book a room. Cancellation of individual rooms can happen up until 24 hours before arrival. So if we have at least 25 rooms booked on 9/1, and cancellations happenn after that, the price per night should not change.

The rate is a little bit steeper than I had hoped for, but I think we’re battling leaf peeping season, as well as the many colleges nearby. There really wasn’t a dropoff in rates, and surprisingly, this was one of the best ones I could find at a place with enough rooms to accommodate us and have at least some assurance that the rooms will be clean. Hopefully the price won’t be a deterrent to some folks. Split it with a roommate!

If anyone is interested in camping at this year's OctoVRfest, there is a municipal campground in Hickories Park, which looks to be within walking distance to the "official" rally hotel. (Well, the entrance to the park is certainly within walking distance--I'm not sure exactly where the camping is within the park.)
http://www.visittioga.com/accommodation ... ories-park

If you want to poke around the area a bit, the tourism site for Tioga County can be found here:
Tioga County NY, Official Tourism Site - Visit Tioga
It includes some maps, as well as some links to other parts of the Finger Lakes where we’ll be riding.

As for rides, I’m not there yet, so if anyone has any ideas or wants to help out, let me know. For now, I’ll probably be going from the rides discussed in the Jan-Feb 2010 issue of RoadRunner magazine, and altering them to meet our needs. I think you can safely assume that we'll be going around Cayuga Lake. (Ride sneak previews on page 15 of the rally thread on VR, though they're likely to be edited down some--one is pretty long.)

But we will have rides scheduled for both Friday and Saturday. I’ll update this thread with more as time goes on.

We’re about an hour from Watkins Glen NY. If folks are interested, I can look into whether or not we can take a few laps on the speedway track there. It’s one of the few twisty road tracks on the NASCAR circuit. (EDIT: This is a no-go. They rarely allow groups on the track.)

Suggestions welcome! This post will be updated often as things progress.

FRIDAY RIDE
TBD
Potential destination: Glenn Curtiss Museum, Hammondsport
Potential destination: Watkins Glen Speedway

SATURDAY RIDE
TBD
Potential ride: Loop around Cayuga Lake

ATTENDING (* indicates room booked) (arrival date)
As of 7/14: 32 attendees, 18 rooms booked
Pbryon and Chicken Bone* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
Gregstur* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
Kettlinton and Kettswife*
Sweetlu*
BrownC50 and Remington NY* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
DCinCT* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
Capt Cruiser and Mmmmagicfingers* (arriving Friday 9/23)
BearBait and Woodswoman* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
Jeff and Maria* (arriving Thursday 9/22 via motorhome? or bike?)
New2Blvd and New2BlvdBF*
Peter69 and Laura* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
RichH and RamRider* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
Studly and Slimbone* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
Sixpack
Sister Moo and MrMike* (arriving Thursday 9/22)
Purplefireflys8* (arriving Friday 9/23)
Red Rider
Beezer and Belinda*
Smokeater*
OldTraf*

MAYBES
BikerPop
Vortex1x
Skrapiron
Duglaura
Rob 61 and husband
SSquire

(Map is "as the crow flies." You'll obviously have to check Mapquest, Google Maps, etc. to find your approximate riding mileage. But the point is we can get some folks from Western PA and Ohio to this one!)
Last edited by pbryon on July 18th, 2011, 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Headhunter
The Bishop

Re: OctoVRFest 2011: September 22-25, Finger Lakes NY

Postby Headhunter » February 8th, 2011, 9:02 am

Hey, thanks for posting this over here as well. We have quite a few people up in the northeast.
I am smellin' like the rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Pink Service Manual 01-04

pbryon
Hang Around

Postby pbryon » February 9th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Thanks...all are welcome, no matter the site as far as I'm concerned. (And I'm the one who made the arrangements.)

If you're planning on going, kindly post here or send me a note letting me know. That way I can keep things up to date, let people know how close we are to selling out, and ordering up more rooms if necessary.

Feel free to make suggestions on the rides as well.

sixpack
Hang Around

Postby sixpack » February 16th, 2011, 10:03 am

Sounds great Bryon, i'll call and reserve later this week.

remingtonny
Hang Around

Postby remingtonny » March 26th, 2011, 9:34 pm

sixpack wrote:Sounds great Bryon, i'll call and reserve later this week.

wheres Clifton Park ??

pbryon
Hang Around

Postby pbryon » March 27th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Clifton Park is in Saratoga County, about halfway between Albany and Saratoga Springs. Sixpack and I live a few blocks apart.

Update on this rally...more rooms booked and more people coming. Updated post #1. Booking a room costs you practically nothing, since you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance.

remingtonny
Hang Around

Postby remingtonny » March 28th, 2011, 12:40 pm

pbryon wrote:Clifton Park is in Saratoga County, about halfway between Albany and Saratoga Springs. Sixpack and I live a few blocks apart.

Update on this rally...more rooms booked and more people coming. Updated post #1. Booking a room costs you practically nothing, since you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance.

thanks
I'm signed up
dave

ecks
VOL Original

Postby ecks » March 28th, 2011, 2:02 pm

1300 miles for me. I'll be in Chicago that weekend.
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

SSquire
VOL Original

Postby SSquire » June 28th, 2011, 5:45 pm

In for a maybe +1 (and to tag the post). Just got back from HI and haven't planned a trip for next week yet!
Live Long * Ride Hard * Eat Well -Biker Chef
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - S. Clemens
VOL#103 (originally 8226) / VR #1124 / TOTT Plank Owner

pbryon
Hang Around

Postby pbryon » June 28th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Good deal...will perk it up after Yankee Rally next week, and hopefully pick up some more reservations.

Return to “North East Rallies”