Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, and Nevada, Washington, Oregon, California, Alaska, Hawaii
User avatar
CzarOfKatmandu
VOL Original
Posts: 558
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 8:28 am
Location: Polk City, IA
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby CzarOfKatmandu » March 12th, 2008, 1:20 pm

jimjack wrote:
Or, what about this? You can go.....and Anna and I will keep the house fire lit for you while you're gone?

I'm calling to reserve a site.


At least you're willing to let me go.
I thought you would suggest that I watch the house while you two go.

User avatar
jimjack
Prospect
Posts: 405
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby jimjack » March 12th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Holy Cow!! Now, here's something to get excited about. Called, but no answer. Will keep calling till I get a reservation. Possibility of going to Sturgis, but not as excited about that.

Just looked at the VR site. Don't go there much. 31 pages of rally info to read and I'll be up to date as far as who's riding from where and what dates different people are heading to Yellowstone.

Rode 4200 miles alone last August in Utah and six other states. That was a blast, but it's good to have company. Have always wanted to see Yellowstone.

Don't know many people going, but the people I do know will be a blast to be with.
Win an arguement, lose a friend.

ImageImage

User avatar
jimjack
Prospect
Posts: 405
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby jimjack » March 12th, 2008, 5:46 pm

[quote="CzarOfKatmandu"]
We can ride out together.
quote]

Tim,
Got a site reserved. 8/04 - 8/10. Anna or no Anna, you're going, buster. 'Course, it will be better if she DOES come with US. I'll help you talk her into it.
Win an arguement, lose a friend.

ImageImage

User avatar
CzarOfKatmandu
VOL Original
Posts: 558
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 8:28 am
Location: Polk City, IA
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby CzarOfKatmandu » March 12th, 2008, 7:58 pm

jimjack wrote:
CzarOfKatmandu wrote:We can ride out together.
quote]

Tim,
Got a site reserved. 8/04 - 8/10. Anna or no Anna, you're going, buster. 'Course, it will be better if she DOES come with US. I'll help you talk her into it.



Well she can't say no now. You've already got the sight.
Are we riding straight there or do you want to stop on the way?

User avatar
jimjack
Prospect
Posts: 405
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby jimjack » March 12th, 2008, 11:44 pm

CzarOfKatmandu wrote:Are we riding straight there or do you want to stop on the way?


How's about I ride out to your place, stay the night, and then we three take off together the next morning.

I wonder if Vince and Kelli would enjoy the trip. Sturgis is up in the air. I told Joe some time back I'd go if he decided to, but not everyone is committed. Vince and Kelli both said a couple of months ago that they weren't going to Sturgis this summer.

I'd like to spend some time with Joe, so it would be kickass if he'd go to Yellowstone.
Win an arguement, lose a friend.

ImageImage

User avatar
CzarOfKatmandu
VOL Original
Posts: 558
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 8:28 am
Location: Polk City, IA
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby CzarOfKatmandu » March 13th, 2008, 9:50 am

jimjack wrote:
CzarOfKatmandu wrote:Are we riding straight there or do you want to stop on the way?


How's about I ride out to your place, stay the night, and then we three take off together the next morning.

I wonder if Vince and Kelli would enjoy the trip. Sturgis is up in the air. I told Joe some time back I'd go if he decided to, but not everyone is committed. Vince and Kelli both said a couple of months ago that they weren't going to Sturgis this summer.

I'd like to spend some time with Joe, so it would be kickass if he'd go to Yellowstone.


Sounds like a good plan. I hope we are in the new house by then.

User avatar
CzarOfKatmandu
VOL Original
Posts: 558
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 8:28 am
Location: Polk City, IA
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby CzarOfKatmandu » March 13th, 2008, 10:57 am

I just checked MapQuest from Bondurant.
1,108 mi – about 16 hours 58 mins

If Anna doesn't go, I'd be willing to Iron Butt the whole way.
If she goes we should plan on leaving a day early and stopping somewhere along the way.

You said you reserved 8/04 - 8/10. Does that mean you leave on 8/10 or 8/11?

User avatar
jimjack
Prospect
Posts: 405
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 2:01 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby jimjack » March 13th, 2008, 2:39 pm

CzarOfKatmandu wrote:I just checked MapQuest from Bondurant.
1,108 mi – about 16 hours 58 mins

If Anna doesn't go, I'd be willing to Iron Butt the whole way.
If she goes we should plan on leaving a day early and stopping somewhere along the way.

You said you reserved 8/04 - 8/10. Does that mean you leave on 8/10 or 8/11?


Leaving on the 10th, but I'm okay with any dates.

I Iron Butted that distance from NM in October, but I stopped 3 times and slept on the ground for about an hour each time. When I saw a black Vietnamese pot-bellied pig in the road up ahead, and then discovered it was a black car way, way up ahead, I knew it was time to close my eyes for a while.

Probably mainly because I didn't hit the road till about 4:00 pm. Starting fresh in the morning is a little different. So whatever you want to do. How will you carry your gear? We could camp along the way one night.

You can pick up a 1-man tent pretty inexpensively. Then Anna can share my tent with me. After all, what are good friends for? I just like to help when I can.
Win an arguement, lose a friend.

ImageImage

User avatar
CzarOfKatmandu
VOL Original
Posts: 558
Joined: March 11th, 2008, 8:28 am
Location: Polk City, IA
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby CzarOfKatmandu » March 13th, 2008, 2:45 pm

jimjack wrote:
CzarOfKatmandu wrote:You can pick up a 1-man tent pretty inexpensively. Then Anna can share my tent with me. After all, what are good friends for? I just like to help when I can.


You're a good friend, but we have a small tent that I could carry on the bike.
I travel pretty light. I'll probably just tie my tent and sleeping bag on the bike and toss everything else in my back pack.

I'm open to any other suggestions from a pro like you, though.

User avatar
Volusiaguy
VOL Original
Posts: 79
Joined: March 10th, 2008, 11:29 pm
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA.
Contact:

Re: Western Rally August 8-10, 2008 Yellowstone National Park

Postby Volusiaguy » March 13th, 2008, 2:56 pm

CzarOfKatmandu wrote:
jimjack wrote:
CzarOfKatmandu wrote:You can pick up a 1-man tent pretty inexpensively. Then Anna can share my tent with me. After all, what are good friends for? I just like to help when I can.


You're a good friend, but we have a small tent that I could carry on the bike.
I travel pretty light. I'll probably just tie my tent and sleeping bag on the bike and toss everything else in my back pack.

I'm open to any other suggestions from a pro like you, though.


We're camping at altitude, so make sure you have a beanie, long underwear, a closed-cell mattress, and warm bag or you'll freeze your ass off...:)

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: Yellowstone LakeL, Yellowstone National Park, northwestern Wyoming, U.S. It lies at 7,731 ft (2,356 m) above sea level, the largest body of water in North America at so high an altitude. It is fed and drained by the Yellowstone River. About 20 mi (32 km) long and 14 mi (23 km) wide, it has a maximum depth of 390 ft (119 m) and a surface area of 137 sq mi (354 sq km). It is a haven for rare species of waterbirds, including trumpeter swans, and is prized for trout fishing.
There's no place like home..there's no place like home...there's no place like home.


Return to “Western Rallies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests