Complete clutch adjustment - Credit Ironman

A file repository of the collective knowledge on everything VOL and C50
Forum rules
This area contains maintenance information as well as other reference material for the Suzuki Volusia VL 800 and Suzuki Boulevard C50 motorcycles. Items such as installation guides, owners manuals, and step by step tutorials can be found here. This area is read only, and only Administrators or Moderators can add files here. If you have a file that you would like to offer, please send a private message the Admin.
Doc
Site Admin

Complete clutch adjustment - Credit Ironman

Postby Doc » July 28th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Thanks Ironman!

Here it is:
By the book, the slack at the lever should be 10-15mm, which is 0.4"- 0.6", or up to approx. 9/16" if you prefer to think of it that way. The cable end should be screwed in toward the lever as far as it will go up against the locking wheel and still let the locking wheel have enough threads to lock. This will give you enough room to make a fine-tuning for your particular feel.

At the far end of the cable wire itself; [under the center of the 3 left side covers] is where the most important adjustment is made. After loosening the outer locking nut, you use a narrow blade screwdriver & turn that screw counter-clockwise 3 turns or so. Then turn it inward slowly till you feel resistance become tangible. Back it off 1/4 turn and note that position so you can make sure it stays there. Then tighten up the locking nut again, without overtightening it.

At the bottom end of the cable shielding, where it goes into the case cover: The double nuts there are another key component. The top one locks the cable slack at the bottom end and really benefits from some blue loc-tite. That keeps it from vibrating loose and losing the adjustment.

In my case, the cable wire was also dry and I used a little white lithium grease. You can't use WD-40 or other penetrating oils, since they uh, penetrate and break down the metal as well as the shielding liner. Also lube the bottom end of the cable wire and the moving parts of the area behind what's labeled at parts "3 & 4".

WOW! I can't believe I ever stopped doing this myself. The dealership never did a complete adjustment and I know that because the results from simply doing it by the book are conclusively obvious and a huge improvement!

zaramilo
Hang Around

Re: Complete clutch adjustment - Credit Ironman

Postby zaramilo » April 11th, 2012, 5:52 am

What is the science behind the heart-transplant scene in Ironman? I'm doing a slideshow for my Chemistry class about Ironman and my teacher told me I am doing the heart-transplant scene randomly. I have never seen Ironman so I need as much help as I can get. What is the science behind the whole heart-transplant scene in Ironman?

Doc
Site Admin

Re: Complete clutch adjustment - Credit Ironman

Postby Doc » April 11th, 2012, 6:54 am

zaramilo wrote:What is the science behind the heart-transplant scene in Ironman? I'm doing a slideshow for my Chemistry class about Ironman and my teacher told me I am doing the heart-transplant scene randomly. I have never seen Ironman so I need as much help as I can get. What is the science behind the whole heart-transplant scene in Ironman?

Umm.. wrong Ironman.. wrong forum?

Return to “The Library”