Convert stock signals to LED

A file repository of the collective knowledge on everything VOL and C50
Forum rules
This area contains maintenance information as well as other reference material for the Suzuki Volusia VL 800 and Suzuki Boulevard C50 motorcycles. Items such as installation guides, owners manuals, and step by step tutorials can be found here. This area is read only, and only Administrators or Moderators can add files here. If you have a file that you would like to offer, please send a private message the Admin.
schafer_jon
Hang Around

Convert stock signals to LED

Postby schafer_jon » September 29th, 2010, 5:04 pm

Hello all -
I see a lot of helpful information out on this board...awesome community! Can anyone address, or has anyone done this? Convert the stock signal bulbs to LED's? I have read the advantages are lower draw on the electrical system, but a couple questions:

The lower current draw...enough to make it worth any cost associated?
The actual replacements parts...any idea on $ and where to get?

From what I understand, they are just boards that plug into the socket from which you removed the bulb. They have LED's on them to shine brighter...is this accurate?

Thanks all!
Jon S.

v0lusia
VOL Original

Re: Convert stock signals to LED

Postby v0lusia » September 30th, 2010, 8:44 am

Cheap LED bulbs you see in auto parts stores and on ebay suck. Most LEDs are directional which means they shine light in a narrow path kind of like a narrow path flashlight. So unless you are right along that path, the light is not bright. Which is why some seem bright until you realize when you get them on your bike you need to be on your hands and knees (along the path) to see them brightly. Our turn signals depend on some of the light being reflected by the inside of the turn signal, with most LEDs because they are directional, this reflection is gone. So basically without this reflection your signals are less visable.

Now some higher priced LEDs are better ones from HERE for example (there are others). There are also LED usints like they use on emergency vehicles which are VERY bright. But they are also expensive like the ones here http://www.lshlights.com/ they are not direct replacement but they are great if you are adding lights or doing majod mods. Several people hook up the 3730R (R for red) as a 2nd flashing brake light. Here is a direct link 3730R

Also a couple of things to consider:
01-03 Volusias have one type of signal and 04_ Voluisa/C50s have another
If you are converting all your signals you may need to install load balancers to make them flash correctly, because of the low draw that LEDs have.

Overall I don't think the installing LEDs just to have LEDs is worth it. If you are gaining more lights on the rear, customizing the bike, or replacing broken turn signals that is a different story.

My turn signals were LED but I did that as part of new paint/customization

-Metal monsters that let us breathe. Let us smell. Keep us from being numb. - Zookoff
-Twisties give me happy pants
-
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » September 30th, 2010, 8:58 am

Very excellent post Shawn. I'm probably going to archive this off into the Library and link in the key word LED to go to this post...

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » September 30th, 2010, 10:00 am

What v0lusia said,

I had to put a load equalizer on mine to get the blink to not be so fast it was almost invisible. Cake to do but on my bike it was hard to find a place to hide it. I also did mine as part of a customization. Bought good ones so people would see them. I think thats important!

CG

Dennis
Dikkhead

Postby Dennis » September 30th, 2010, 11:40 am

I had to use a load equalizer for each signal individually

The Volusianator
VOL Original

Postby The Volusianator » September 30th, 2010, 11:48 am

[quote="Dennis"]I had to use a load equalizer for each signal individually[/quote]
That's just cause Jammie says your loads are usually quite large, so extra equalization is needed in your case!

erocka1982
Hang Around

Postby erocka1982 » March 16th, 2011, 9:17 pm

i did this mod and i kinda like how they flash fast. but thats just my opinion. one problem though, the green turn signal light on my cluster stays on all the time. it still flashes with the signals but it is annoyingly on all the time. does anyone else have this problem or did i screw something up?

jenniandkevin21
Hang Around

Postby jenniandkevin21 » July 9th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Hi Jon, I put leds on my c50 including the tail light rear turn signals and I replaced all four reflectors with leds and all r bright and a lot more visability, I made sure I bought quality ones 'cause inexpensive leds r not worth the time putting on since they do not shine well.

Return to “The Library”