Waterproofing Internal Electronics

Having problems with your ride? Ask here.
BottleCap
Prospect

Waterproofing Internal Electronics

Postby BottleCap » May 12th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I think I soaked some internal electronics. I have a Cobra fuel manager on a 2005 C50 and that's probably what got soaked.

I washed the bike yesterday and really blasted it with the hose. I've done that before with no problems. But this time, this morning it killed on me several times on the first half of a poker run. I'd drive a few hundred yards, it'd sputter a bit and kill. I could restart easily while still rolling and twice it sputtered and killed again. Once, the last time, it restarted and drove fine. Either way, once it got going for good, it drove fine until I turned it off and later restarted.

The bike has never had an issue like this from riding in the rain. We did ride in some rain on the run. The first since I got the manager.

I also filled the tank that same morning, but don't think it was bad gas since the bike seems to have stopped having the problem while half that tank was still in there. I filled up at my usual Shell station with the usual 87 octane.

It's got a fresh oil change and filter too. Oil level is good.

So, three things I did. Wash, oil, gas. I still think it's water on something electronic. Probably the manager.

I plan to:

1. take off the seat and side covers
2. dry and clean the electronics to keep them from corroding
3. waterproof the electronics

The waterproofing is where I need help. What can I do? Naturally, cover any exposed wires, if there are any.

Heat shrink tube?
Better connectors?
Liquid tape?
Electrical tape?

Thanks
Driving a 2005 C50 enginecycle.

MrGrimm
Prospect

Re: Waterproofing Internal Electronics

Postby MrGrimm » May 13th, 2012, 12:54 am

Dielectric grease on all the connections will help and there's a spray that is used on auto distributors that you may be able to spray on the processor to help seal it up. Can't remember what its called atm but I believe its silicone based.
I love me some gourmet home-cooked liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

BottleCap
Prospect

Postby BottleCap » May 13th, 2012, 2:58 pm

CRC makes a product called Wire Drier. The can says "cleans and protects" and something about weatherproof.

They also make Di-Electric grease and electronics cleaner. I went with that.

Fixing to get into it. Will post up results.

BottleCap
Prospect

Postby BottleCap » May 13th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Took off the side covers and didn't find anything wet (it's been two days, so no surprise it was dry now) or corroded. No bare wires.

The fuel manager looks correctly installed, but the connections aren't those rubber insert type factory connections. They're just crimp on. That's what the kit came with. The connections are not sealed at all.

I sprayed everything down with the cleaner and gave it healthy gobs of Di-electric grease. Probably more of both than needed.

Bike fired up fine and runs great. Well see how it commutes tomorrow.

I'll look for better connectors.

Thanks!

MrGrimm
Prospect

Postby MrGrimm » May 15th, 2012, 10:45 am

Good deal, if you've got everything greased id wrap it with electrical tape and let it go.
I love me some gourmet home-cooked liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Jimysan
VOL Original

Postby Jimysan » May 21st, 2012, 6:33 am

Next time, dry the bike with an electric leaf blower. Gets the water out of those nasty little places a towel won't.

Use an electric leaf blower. The gas ones tend to blow a fine oil must onto your bike. Guess how I found that out!
2004 Pearl Blue VTX1800R
The "Blue Beast"

Return to “I Need HELP!”