Bike wont start - fuel issue

Having problems with your ride? Ask here.
Wmmihail
Hang Around

Bike wont start - fuel issue

Postby Wmmihail » March 3rd, 2013, 5:21 pm

Bike has been sitting since around october. Sorry to say I wasnt diligent in starting every month and keeping juices flowing. been a tough winter here in NY. Went out to start a few weeks ago. Weak battery. Charged battery and tried starting today. Good cranking but again no start. Sprayed some fluid into air cleaner and it fired but wouldn't stay running. I guessed that there is some fuel flow issue. Maybe filter, maybe pump. I pulled the long fuel line that leads from the tank tap to the pump and was surprised to find that fuel did not flow freely from this hose. just a brief dribble, then nothing else. Should it? Does this indicate a dirty filter? If so, is there a replacement or is it just cleaned? I actually tried blowing through this hose and could hear the air in the tank so I would think it would flow out as well.

I also read that there are certain tips and tricks to getting fuel to flow after the bowl has dried from extended sitting time. Would Appreciate some feedback and tips. Also, while i have the tank off, what maintenance does anyone suggest besides plugs and fuel filter? I see the coolant cap is under here. is it really necessary to flush and fill? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. looking forward to an early spring with some smooth riding.

Dingo
Prospect

Re: Bike wont start - fuel issue

Postby Dingo » March 4th, 2013, 5:57 am

Good morning!

I'm with ya on the brutal winter around here... especially the end when we all start to think about starting to get ready!

Anyway this exact thing happened to me last year ... long story etc but before I go one with what I think I know, what year & model do you have? I'll check back when I get to work this morning.

Thanks

Wmmihail
Hang Around

Postby Wmmihail » March 4th, 2013, 6:37 am

Thanks. 2002 Volusia 805cc. After getting a little into it yesterday it has single carb with vacuum assisted petcock/fuel tap and vacuum assisted fuel pump/regulator. Everything I read said fuel bowls dry out. Seems like if the bowl is dry, and bike cant start, then how can you get vacuum to get fuel to flow? Seems like a catch 22! So looking for some tips to get it fired up but since I have apart looking to do some minor prep work as well. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

mechbart
VOL Original

Postby mechbart » March 5th, 2013, 10:26 am

Mine does this every year as I also don't start it regularly throught the winter.

I charge the battery full and even leave the charger hooked up while I use full choke and crank it. Don't crank for more tham 30 sec before letting the starter cools down. Takes a bit to get the fuel flowing again. After I've crank it for sometime, I let it sit a few minutes. Normally it fires right up after that. I've been doing this each year since I bought it new in 2002.

I know, bad routine, but it's never failed me yet after 11 seasons.

The cranking for a lengthy time creates a vacuum inside that will syphon the fuel to the bowl.
Last edited by mechbart on March 17th, 2013, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfox
VOL Original

Postby Silverfox » March 5th, 2013, 8:03 pm

I would also try some Berrymans B12, or some other gas additive that would aid in cleaning gas line, float, etc........Some use seafoam at certain intervals. Just a thought.......

Jeff..Just Ride..........Blessed

MuskokaVol
Prospect

Postby MuskokaVol » March 17th, 2013, 9:19 am

I had this also has happened to me a couple of times in the winter with my '04 Volusia. My trick is quite simple, i tent my bike with a tarp and a heater to warm up the bike, i found the Vols don't like cold whether, I will then start for me. Go figure, but my bike DOES NOT like the cold. Hope you get it running.
100% effort 100% of the time!

Silverfox
VOL Original

Postby Silverfox » March 23rd, 2013, 10:40 am

Hey MuskokaVol, lets move south, my vol same problem. But I hear a larger pilot jet may solve that issue................

Jeff......Just Ride.............Blessed

mechbart
VOL Original

Postby mechbart » March 29th, 2013, 10:22 am

Just did yesterday what I explained in the earlier post. Cranked for 30 sec. each time for about 6 times. I let it sit about 10 min. and she roared to life.

The vacuum created while cranking siphons the fuel into the bowl. Year 13 for this procedure.

Return to “I Need HELP!”