Another Tire Thread!

General maintenance information area.
erocka1982
Hang Around

Another Tire Thread!

Postby erocka1982 » August 20th, 2010, 7:03 am

i need to change both my tires. the rear is bald and the front is cupped! i know there is really no conversion kits to make the rear end wider, but is there a tire that is wider that does not require any modifications? also for the front, is it possible to get a narrower tire? or am i crazy and should just stick with the factory sizes. im a firm believer of "factory sucks"

remingtonny
Hang Around

Re: Another Tire Thread!

Postby remingtonny » August 20th, 2010, 9:58 pm

yes but those suzuki engineers make a lot more money than I do, and they play with the bikes 24/7.....remeber that the bike is designed for a certain hp, rpms. weight, tire size, etc, change any variable and you upset the geomerty of the fork travel, stopping distance etc.

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » August 22nd, 2010, 9:34 am

A200 doeas fit on the rear with no mod instead of the 180 that comes stock a few folks have done it. The narrower front would require some modification.

CG
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

erocka1982
Hang Around

Postby erocka1982 » September 2nd, 2010, 3:36 pm

remingtonny wrote:yes but those suzuki engineers make a lot more money than I do, and they play with the bikes 24/7.....remeber that the bike is designed for a certain hp, rpms. weight, tire size, etc, change any variable and you upset the geomerty of the fork travel, stopping distance etc.

you bring up a good point. considering i already got in a wreck this season(wasnt my fault a guy changed lanes on top of me) i dont wanna make my bike unsafe

rstaw2_Zs
Hang Around

Postby rstaw2_Zs » June 20th, 2012, 8:42 pm

remingtonny wrote:yes but those suzuki engineers make a lot more money than I do, and they play with the bikes 24/7.....remeber that the bike is designed for a certain hp, rpms. weight, tire size, etc, change any variable and you upset the geomerty of the fork travel, stopping distance etc.

I like sticky-compound tires on street-bikes. I want the softest rubber I can find: Life of tire is not important to me.

"MECHANICAL GRIP: Tyres transmit the bike’s mechanical forces of horsepower and braking. The few square centimetres that constitute the contact patch can make all the difference in a bike’s performance."

IMHO, handling performance is a critical perameter more important than tire-life. 7K miles on a funner/safer soft compound is more enjoyable than any stock-cross tire that doesn't hook-up when you NEED it to. ( My $0.02 )

Keep the rubber down!

Return to “Maintenance”