Washing the Bike....

General maintenance information area.
Ghstwlkrs
Hang Around

Washing the Bike....

Postby Ghstwlkrs » April 5th, 2011, 3:43 am

Hey guys...so yeah this is might be a stupid question but of course I am asking it anyways...

Any advice on washing the bike?

I am pretty much wondering if there are certain areas I should be definitely checking out on the bike when washing it. Recommended liquids or just plain water and soap? I hate to ask these questions, but then again it is my first bike and I am just assuming there might be special considerations compared to muddy truck. Thank you in advance for entertaining my really un-emergent question.

I live in Hawaii and well the salt watered air is kinda the bikes worst enemy here....will just washing it once a week be good or should I be looking for a "special" type of wash/cleaner for the chrome and other areas of the bike?

Thank you again,
GHST

ecks
VOL Original

Re: Washing the Bike....

Postby ecks » April 5th, 2011, 7:03 am

Wash it like you wash your car. I don't do anything different. I do use a leaf blower to dry the cracks and crevises because I live in the great state of corrosion, Florida.
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

Mort
Prospect

Postby Mort » April 5th, 2011, 8:22 am

I use Mr. Clean carwash. The one with the spray of soft water after the soap. You have to follow their instructions to have it work, no water spots. About the only thing I do to wash my bike is to remove my tank bib because it retains water and takes forever to dry. Sort of like leaving a bra on your car too long.

Pass
Prospect

Postby Pass » April 5th, 2011, 8:25 am

Is this s*** for real?

Get a bucket, fill with water and soap, use a soft cloth to wash the bike... Spray water & soap off... Dry if you want.
That's F****n' Awesome!
Regnat Populus
Misplaced Arkansan

MAC
Patched

Postby MAC » April 5th, 2011, 8:36 am

havent washed mine in years, ridin in the rain everyonce in a while is good enough

mdram
Prospect

Postby mdram » April 5th, 2011, 8:59 am

i just leave mine parked outside all summer, washes itself
03 Volusia
Cobra Streetrod Slashdown Exhaust (minus top tip), jet kit, light bar, highway bar, Switchblade 2-up

If you wanna know where the lower shore is, just head to the end of the earth and hang a left, 2 blocks over and your there :)

Coilguy
VOL Original

Postby Coilguy » April 5th, 2011, 9:51 am

I used to like to wash my bike a lot more when I was younger. Now I just like to ride it.

Washing is important get it as clean as possible and dry it the best you can. Enjoy your bike is the key if you enjoy washing it then do so......me I enjoy watching someone else wash mine, preferably in a bikini......

CG
...........It's that you ride
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Mort
Prospect

Postby Mort » April 5th, 2011, 10:16 am

We were at a stealer and we were ready to have the Hooter Girls wash our bikes. Until we notice they dropped their sponges on the ground, picked the sponge up and wipe the bikes. Hooters is good, gravel in the bike paint is less than good.

Applecover
Redneck Innkeeper

Postby Applecover » April 5th, 2011, 10:17 am

Coilguy wrote:I used to like to wash my bike a lot more when I was younger. Now I just like to ride it.

Washing is important get it as clean as possible and dry it the best you can. Enjoy your bike is the key if you enjoy washing it then do so......me I enjoy watching someone else wash mine, preferably in a bikini......

CG

Hopefully you mean a GIRL in a bikini...!!

ecks
VOL Original

Postby ecks » April 5th, 2011, 10:28 am

Florida style!
If you p**** us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?

Return to “Maintenance”