Check Your Tire Pressure GAUGE

General maintenance information area.
BottleCap
Prospect

Postby BottleCap » February 27th, 2012, 7:10 pm

I had one of those nice mechanical tire pressure gauges. Steel body. psi and kPa. Made in USA. It was one of those you'd see in a mechanics shirt pocket.

And it was kind of old.

Well, I checked my bike tires and it pegged out over 50psi. Hmmm. Must of put it on wrong. Check again. Pegged over 50. Check the truck. Pegged over 50. No way.

Got one out of my truck and it said my truck tires were 40. Bike tires 38. That's more like it.

Moral of the story. Tire gauges last a long time, but they don't last forever. If it gives you a weird reading, check it on other tires and against other gauges. If it's bad, just toss it.
Driving a 2005 C50 enginecycle.

ron2k_1
Patched

Postby ron2k_1 » February 27th, 2012, 10:05 pm

I agree. I had one of those pocket sized ones that look like a pen in your shirt pocket. Belize City is rust city, so I checked my rear tire one day and it pegged at 22. I was like :O "Holy Canolis! I checked the front one, and same reading. So I said the same thing, " I put it in wrong" I placed it back in on the rear and 22 again... Checked the ruck as you did, and... Yep you guessed it right... 22psi.

This one was quite new tho, not even a year.

Ron

PS: Spraying wd40 on it doesn't help guys....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils

Doc
Site Admin

Re: Check Your Tire Pressure GAUGE

Postby Doc » February 28th, 2012, 10:14 am

That's why I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560-Tire-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B000COS8FI

Much more accurate, consistent, and easier to use in tight spaces. I love the bleeder valve too. Put a little too much air in? Hit the button to bleed off till you get to the right number. I have one like this one that I keep in my bags, and then I have one on my air compressor that clips on to the valve stem to make it even easier to check/fill/bleed to the right number.

Gotta keep that pressure right in the tires. Keeping the right pressure ensures long life (for you and the tires).

Doc

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » March 4th, 2012, 11:25 am

I can not find 2 different branded gauges that read the same. It's really kind of annoying. I tried some 'Slime' branded ones from Walmart or something and they read a bit lower than anything else I've tried so I trashed them. I just keep using the seriously old one I've been using. But it reads a pound or so more than everything else I try. If that one you linked, Doc, is actually accurate, I may have to try it.

mechbart
VOL Original

Postby mechbart » March 4th, 2012, 11:46 am

Doc wrote:That's why I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560-Tire-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B000COS8FI

Much more accurate, consistent, and easier to use in tight spaces. I love the bleeder valve too. Put a little too much air in? Hit the button to bleed off till you get to the right number. I have one like this one that I keep in my bags, and then I have one on my air compressor that clips on to the valve stem to make it even easier to check/fill/bleed to the right number.

Gotta keep that pressure right in the tires. Keeping the right pressure ensures long life (for you and the tires).

Doc

Hey Doc,

The info says 0-60 but the picture only shows the gauge going up to 40. What does your read to?

Teachme
Prospect

Postby Teachme » May 24th, 2012, 3:47 pm

i think its not a factory pic the 2,3 and 4th pic shows up to 60 . nice looking gauge.
Keep the rubber on the pavement !!!!!

Return to “Maintenance”