Compression stroke TDC

General maintenance information area.
djp
Hang Around

Compression stroke TDC

Postby djp » April 4th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Is there an easy way to determine TDC on the Compression stroke on a 2006 c 50?? The R/T mark on the generator wheel will come up at tdc both on compression and exhaust stroke. Trying to set the valve lash.

djp
Last edited by djp on April 5th, 2012, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jlsawyer
Prospect

Compression stroke TDC

Postby Jlsawyer » April 4th, 2012, 10:56 pm

The easiest way to tell is wait until you see the intake valves close and when the piston comes back up I will be tdc. The intake valve are closest to the center between the two jugs.

Doc
Site Admin

Re: Compression stroke TDC

Postby Doc » April 5th, 2012, 6:51 am

I place a wooden dowel in the spark plug hole so I can see the movement of the piston.

djp
Hang Around

Re: Compression stroke TDC

Postby djp » April 5th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Thanks for the help guys. But I was still a bit unsure of myself.
I tried something a bit unorthodox, but it worked. Find the TDC mark on the generator inspection plate (R/T) and then mark your socket extension so that you can see the mark without having to be lying down. A toothpick and some electrical tape worked well. Then I took a 6" piece of 5/8 dowel and sanded the edges of one end down to form a rounded seal for the spark plug hole, because my fingers aren't long enough. Covered that end with some electrical tape for a better seal. Back at the bike hold this dowel firmly against the spark plug hole and with the other hand rotate the engine until you see your TDC marker coming around. On the compression stroke you will feel and hear air escaping from your makeshift seal. This is the compression stroke. Centre up the TDC mark and you're there.
Worked for me. May be helpful to you.

djp

Return to “Maintenance”