New owner of a 2005 C50T

General maintenance information area.
ChicagoGozer
Hang Around

New owner of a 2005 C50T

Postby ChicagoGozer » May 14th, 2013, 9:21 am

Hello all! First post here...

I bought a 2005 C50T last night. Nice condition, 8k miles on it. I'm curious if there are any suggestions anyone might have for things I should do/check. Any little "issues" with C50s I might want to head off or at least have knowledge of.

I saw elsewhere Suzuki had a recall on the 05s and 06s for ignition wiring issues. Not sure if this bike had that fix applied to it.

Any suggestions, feedback, pointers would be greatly appreciated. I was a Vulcan 500 rider for 3 years and now have graduated to a real bike. Nice to have something that handles nicer and sounds a lot better.

Doc
Site Admin

Re: New owner of a 2005 C50T

Postby Doc » May 14th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Call a dealer and give them your VIN.. They should be able to look it up to see if it's been done. Only other problem I've ever had is finding enough time off of work to ride it. Have fun!

JJW
Hang Around

Postby JJW » May 16th, 2013, 8:51 am

Congrats' on the Bike!
and Hello from upstate New York.

The manuals on here a great help and if you have questions just ask or search.

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » May 17th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Welcome from Lowell, NC! You'll find plenty of good reading here, but I couldn't find any significant issues in this forum listed. Typically, you'll find the occasional gas tank cap complaint or speedometer not working, but no major issues I've read about.

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Postby Luvs2Play » May 17th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Welcome from Nebraska

can2011
Hang Around

Postby can2011 » May 20th, 2013, 8:22 pm

I have had no issues with mine (2006 C50) to speak of.
Not sure if I am telling you stuff you already know, but here is a couple of things I would check after purchasing a used bike:

How much info did the previous owner give you? Last oil change ? Last coolant change ? Two things you could do in your garage and save you $$$. If you are unsure, I would do both just so you have a starting point.

Tire condition ? How old are the tires ? There is a manufacturer's date on them stating when they were made. If they are older, inspect for cracks on the sidewalls next to the rim, and for dry rot. Tires have a "shelf life" regardless of how much tread is remaining. 5 years is probably the max life in a set of tires.

Final Drive Gear oil ? Ever been changed ? If you cannot verify I would do this as well. It takes about 15 min (this includes having a cold one too - LOL )

Brakes and brake cable? Front brake cable has a "shelf life" (2 to 3 years) as well seeing as it is a rubber tube. Not sure why they went cheap on that. I would invest in a braided cable and you will never have to worry about it again. I will assume brakes are good seeing as you would have to have it safety inspected, although a visual check of the front brake is always a good idea for peace of mind.

Brake fluid; does it look cloudy or dirty through the level window ? Probably should be replaced.

Battery; Condition of posts ? Clean ? How old is the battery ? Check for a manufacturer's date on the battery itself.

Many excellent guides and helpful people around here to get you through the maintenance days.

Welcome and enjoy your new ride !!!

Return to “Maintenance”