I hate Ethanol Gas (E10)!

General maintenance information area.
Ratboy859
Prospect

I hate Ethanol Gas (E10)!

Postby Ratboy859 » May 12th, 2014, 7:16 pm

I've been using 'real gas' with no ethanol for the last 5 or 6 tanks and averaging a little over 215 miles per tank full. I'm not a hard rider and normally stay off the interstate (I-85). I've never run the tank dry, so when the fuel gauge starts flashing, I'm adding about 3.6 to 3.7 gallons in the tank. I've never run out of fuel and confirmed the 4.1 gallon capacity. I'm a back roads type of rider and easy on the bike. The pure gas costs a little more, but if I buy it in SC, it's like I'm buying NC E10 (for the price). Also, it's basically the same 87 octane - just no ethanol.

I got caught between gas stations and had to buy the E10 (normal gas) for the the most recent fill. I know that the BTUs per gallon is less for ethanol as compared to pure gas and there are some other draw backs - but yesterday (with the the weather local traffic), the bike seemed to run a little harder and uglier. Also, the fuel gauge started it's flashing about 187 miles into the tank.

Ugh!

Luvs2Play
Prospect

Re: I hate Ethanol Gas (E10)!

Postby Luvs2Play » May 13th, 2014, 1:19 am

Yep, I live in corn country and surrounded by ethanol plants. One thing I can tell you is that farmers here that grow the corn and sell to the ethanol plants don't put that crap in their own vehicles. At a dime a gallon less, it is dirtier than regular gas, and for every % of ethanol you use, your mileage will drop that much. It is well worth it to spend the extra dime a gallon for real gas, or at least what is considered real gas. Ethanol is one of the biggest government/farmer scams in the world, it takes 3.5 gallons of fresh water to make one gallon of ethanol.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » May 13th, 2014, 6:41 am

I'm lucky enough to have a place right by my house that sells pure gas....40 cents higher per gallon than ethanol but worth it for my bike and mower.
Had my carb gum up twice now because of ethanol gas.

Doc
Site Admin

Postby Doc » May 13th, 2014, 8:57 am

The Harley makes me run higher octane, and that's harder to find in pure gas. There are several stations around me that sell 87 octane, but the closest 93 is about 25 miles from me.

Here's a pretty cool map I found online. For the few stations around me, it's accurate.

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » May 13th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Cool map..thanks, more places around,e than I thought even though it did leave one out about 200 yards from my house.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » May 13th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Cool map..thanks, more places around,e than I thought even though it did leave one out about 200 yards from my house.

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » May 13th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Doc wrote:The Harley makes me run higher octane, and that's harder to find in pure gas. There are several stations around me that sell 87 octane, but the closest 93 is about 25 miles from me.

Here's a pretty cool map I found online. For the few stations around me, it's accurate.

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

It's a good site and I have contributed to it myself. There is a station in Gastonia, NC and one in Clover, SC (down 321 into SC). When I'm traveling towards the Blue Ridge Parkway, I use a Marathon off of I-26 (in Hendersonville, NC).

Ratboy859
Prospect

Postby Ratboy859 » May 13th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Fletch wrote:Cool map..thanks, more places around,e than I thought even though it did leave one out about 200 yards from my house.

You can always contribute to their site - It's easy to do and you can also update gas stations you visit.

Fletch
Patched

Postby Fletch » May 13th, 2014, 9:29 pm

Ratboy859 wrote:
Fletch wrote:Cool map..thanks, more places around,e than I thought even though it did leave one out about 200 yards from my house.

You can always contribute to their site - It's easy to do and you can also update gas stations you visit.

Thanks, missed that option.

Elephant Rider
Prospect

Postby Elephant Rider » May 17th, 2014, 11:09 am

Ethanol is a scam. It actually takes more energy to produce a gallon of ethanol than the the energy you can get from that gallon. How does that sound like it's conserving anything? So basically we're trading gasoline emissions for coal emissions (or whichever power plant runs the ethanol plant) and adding a less clean burning fuel to gasoline. Ethanol also destroys the inside of your engine. It causes condensation. Yeah, cause water is what you want in your fuel system. It's extremely noticeable in tools like trimmers, lawn mowers, etc. The water from the ethanol destroys those little carbs pretty quick. Ridiculous... I think the only people ethanol helps are the farmers who grow corn, because it makes the price of corn go up.

Return to “Maintenance”